Fuji Let's start talking about the X-Pro 3

Just been to a "touch and try" at my local crack dealer.

First impressions:

Black is the right choice. The dura finish truly does pick up every fingerprint, to an unacceptable degree.

The demo model was taking 3-4 seconds to write to the card. I did a setup reset that seemed to clear it but I couldn't see any good reason for the sluggishness.

The body is almost identical in size to its predecessor. My X-Pro2 thumb grip fits which is nice. The built in grip feels more substantial so I will run without the add on one additionally.

The batteries are unchanged.

My (black) one is on order and will hopefully arrive at the end of November.

Bill, at the CameraWorld show I had a little fondle, that back panel is only going to be any good in certain light conditions, useless. Plus the flip down LCD is bloody awful, although the image seemed to be good!
I just don’t understand some design choices made by manufacturers of almost any brand, they want to try talking to the customers that pay their wages, rant over!

Mike, I totally disagree, but that's fine. In the flesh I really like the back panel. It's e-ink and really very effective. I used the rear screen to reset the camera as I said above. It was quick, efficient and if truth be told really rather impressive - certainly far from "bloody awful". It was actually reminiscent of an Epson R-D1 and I don't remember lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth about that.

I get that some tools appeal more to some than to others but I defend to the death my right to have a free choice. Life would be incredibly tedious if all cameras looked like an EOS-1.

I think the lesson of the back panel is that there is possibly a market for a camera with no LCD and only an e-ink top panel or something, if the interface could be thought out well enough to include a histogram or similar tool for fine tuning exposure. I think I'd buy that camera.

Mike, I totally disagree, but that's fine. In the flesh I really like the back panel. It's e-ink and really very effective. I used the rear screen to reset the camera as I said above. It was quick, efficient and if truth be told really rather impressive - certainly far from "bloody awful". It was actually reminiscent of an Epson R-D1 and I don't remember lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth about that.

I get that some tools appeal more to some than to others but I defend to the death my right to have a free choice. Life would be incredibly tedious if all cameras looked like an EOS-1.
Bill, I agree each to his own, the rear panel and the drop down LCD is enough for me to walk away. Where I was in the show the rear panel(not backlit) was unreadable. And the LCD might give problems when using a tripod, I have no way of knowing but the security equipment at the show prevented the LCD panel from opening properly! That’s what I saw!
But yes each to his/her own quite right!

I "think" I'll like the missing back screen. I have a fully functional R-D1s and have always enjoyed shooting with it, even with it's handful of "oddnesses". And yes, I do have a "3" on pre-order with B&H. I'll probably sell my X Pro2 once I'm certain the "3" is functioning as it should. I've really enjoyed the "2". We'll just have to wait for the end of the November. :)
. . . David

@Mike G I’m betting that the forthcoming X-H2 will be more to your liking.
Bobby, I think you maybe right. But it may also have come too late as all my Fujifilm stuff went to PX nearly a year ago in favour of Lumix equipment cameras and lenses, which are at least equal if not superior to Fujifilm kit, it’s probably true that case for case there will be variation of quality.

As a for instance generally the Aperture rings on Fujinon lenses are to my eyes are not positive enough in the click stop department!
Wether or not things have changed recently I don’t know, but I used to get very annoyed with the wishy washy Aperture action! This is of course only my impression not everybody will feel that way.
But as Bill said each to his own

The small backscreen is E-ink? How sexy!

From what I read about it, they sure could have made it backlit. Then again, current Fujis and Leicas are also impossible to "read" in the dark so a dark backscreen fits things well :)

The aperture clicks were an issue for me on the first Fuji primes I tried years ago. IMHO the feel of aperture ring is much better on the newer lenses I have. Still not as positive as what is on my older Pentax lenses.

The small backscreen is E-ink? How sexy!

From what I read about it, they sure could have made it backlit. Then again, current Fujis and Leicas are also impossible to "read" in the dark so a dark backscreen fits things well :)
Thing is, being e-ink it consumes virtually no power. I actually like it dim, because there are few things worse than a searingly bright screen blasting away your night vision as you raise your camera to your eye in a dimly lit bar...

I don't want to veer this thread too far off topic, but since a few have complained about aperture clicks not being stiff or solid enough, I'd like to start a "we don't need 1/3 stop clicks in apertures". It was never that way in the old days and there is ZERO need for it today.

*mini-rant over*

Oh man, fully disagree. I shoot all manual, so knowing the shutter and aperture both go in 1/3 stops means I can trade off one for the other (-3 on one, +3 on the other) without looking at the/through the camera, and wind up at the same exposure. I can't imagine not having 1/3 clicks on the lenses. The Rokinon is 1/2 stops, and it's always a thing I have to remember.

Oh man, fully disagree. I shoot all manual, so knowing the shutter and aperture both go in 1/3 stops means I can trade off one for the other (-3 on one, +3 on the other) without looking at the/through the camera, and wind up at the same exposure. I can't imagine not having 1/3 clicks on the lenses. The Rokinon is 1/2 stops, and it's always a thing I have to remember.

Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I like thinking of f-stops as operating in full stops that let in half as much or twice as much light as the next full stop.

And I also like knowing what f-stop I am using....what is my f-stop if I am stopping down 1/3 of a stop from f5.6 ?

These are the f-stops I know and use..... f/1.8, f/2.0, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8. f/11, f/16, f/22

For 1/3 stop adjustments, I use my exposure compensation dial. Maybe it's just that old habits die hard, or I'm a curmudgeon. But that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I agree here if the manufacturer can manage it. One fear is that as the market shrinks, everyone will make the same camera to make the reviewers happy. This is clearly another shot by Fuji at the Leica users (or people that want one) since they have cameras with no LCD at all.

Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I like thinking of f-stops as operating in full stops that let in half as much or twice as much light as the next full stop.

And I also like knowing what f-stop I am using....what is my f-stop if I am stopping down 1/3 of a stop from f5.6 ?

These are the f-stops I know and use..... f/1.8, f/2.0, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6, f/8. f/11, f/16, f/22

For 1/3 stop adjustments, I use my exposure compensation dial. Maybe it's just that old habits die hard, or I'm a curmudgeon. But that's my story and I'm sticking with it.
I never use manual. I use P, shift in favor of shutter speed or aperture, and adjust for highlight blinkies with exposure compensation. Then I make what I really want in post. :D

I've been skimming the review of X-Pro3 over at DPR.

The OVF magnification appears to be a let down, can't see 18mm framelines? Or 23mm framelines at infinity. It's tight, tight view then.

Can't see 28mm framelines very well on my Leica M either but at least they are there if you turn your head around the viewfinder.

I so liked about the idea of dual-magnification of the Xpro2.

The second thing that jumped out in the review: automatic TIFF output? This is huge for me. I love Fuji processing but I also like to do local adjustments and corrections. And I just can't replicate Fuji look from the raw files. Also the demosaicing of X-Trans has always looked the best straight from the camera, using Fuji's own algorithms. With TIFFs, everything would be perfect in this regard.

Ooh TIFF output sounds like a dream come true!

I'm fully in Camp Luke on the aperture dial, I love the full stops dial on my original X100 and, apart from playing with it once, literally never used the inbetween apertures in almost 7 years of using that camera as my main setup. I like how predictably each click of the aperture dial will give me a noticeable but not too great jump in depth of field. These inbetween apertures are just gonna make me wonder which is better, when the difference in look is barely there. The whole Fuji ethos is about simplifying things, and 1/3 stop differences in shutter speed and aperture are, to me, just not worth the mental distraction of having to choose one.

Does anyone know if it is possible to set the dial in P mode to move aperture and shutter in full stop jumps?

Back