Fuji Let's Talk 18mm f2.0

Certainly nothing wrong with the 18/2's IQ:

DSCF1096s.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In reality there are no bad Fujinon lenses even the so called Fujicron lenses, they are capable bits of glass, in my inexpert view it’s about nuances of difference and it would seem to be more about the photographer than the glass!

There is an IOS app called Fuji X Mount lenses, which details the viewing angles and sharpness of the lenses, give it a look!

The problem with being on the lower end of the Fuji lineup, is that a really really good lens gets deemed as not being as great. Because Fuji has set the bar so high in their lens lineup.

I'll just add this so you have some samples. Back when I had the Fuji XE1.
Fuji 18mm f/2R
Thanks for the examples.
I guess I haven't learned enough to judge IQ, those look good enough to satisfy me.
Small size is nice in a lens and camera, but IQ and usability are top of my list.
And right now, maybe versatility as I'm trying to decide my next purchase.
I have 10-24, 16-50, 55-200, 23f2, 35f2, and 60f2.4. I'm fairly happy with all except the 16-50 (nice size and not-terrible IQ, but slow). I'm thinking the 16-55 or another couple of primes.

Thanks for the examples.
I guess I haven't learned enough to judge IQ, those look good enough to satisfy me.
Small size is nice in a lens and camera, but IQ and usability are top of my list.
And right now, maybe versatility as I'm trying to decide my next purchase.
I have 10-24, 16-50, 55-200, 23f2, 35f2, and 60f2.4. I'm fairly happy with all except the 16-50 (nice size and not-terrible IQ, but slow). I'm thinking the 16-55 or another couple of primes.

At the time I owned the 35/1.4 and 55-200. Compared to those 2, the 18/2 lacks a bit.
In that perspective, it makes sense. On its own merits, it is actually a good lens.

Got my 18 mm used from Thailand a couple of days ago (paid roughly $230) and I find it great! Small, very sharp, absolutely a joy to use. And the AF is much much better than what I was expecting after reading all the reviews. Oh, and same for the build quality. I looked for a very recent one -based on the serial number- and cannot be more satisfied. Highly recommended. My X-T2 is pretty small with this or the 27 mm, making it a perfect choice for a casual and inconspicuous shooting.

Andy remember this lens has to please you and if it does whats more important then that? Its a nice compact lens and if I was looking for that FL I sure would give it a try. Good luck.

Andy remember this lens has to please you and if it does whats more important then that? Its a nice compact lens and if I was looking for that FL I sure would give it a try. Good luck.
Decisions.....decisions! I've been considering the 18mm FL for a compact hiking kit which would include my 27mm f2.8. But.....I've been playing with the panorama mode (vertical hold) using my 50mm f2 which gives nice results. I've also been stitching 2 vertical shots with my 27mm using ICE to process and the final image width pretty much duplicates what the 16mm gives.
Maybe I should just use what I already have with some imagination and save my $$ for more IPA!

Last edited:
Just a few snapshots I took this afternoon during a walk and at home.
DSCF8641.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

• DSCF8573.jpg
    DSCF8573.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCF8576.jpg
    DSCF8576.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCF8578.jpg
    DSCF8578.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCF8583.jpg
    DSCF8583.jpg