Sony Lightroom 4.2RC Supports RX100 - Finally !

mobelby

Rookie
Just a newsflash for all those lightroom users out there, Adobe has released Lightroom 4.2RC with full support for the Sony RX-100 :)

Lightroom 4.2 Release Candidate now available on Adobe Labs « Lightroom Journal

This will simplify and speed up my process flow for image development and editing as I can now do it all in Lightroom without having to use the Sony image converter program. That will get uninstalled pretty quickly !

Thanks - covers LX7 also. I guess I'll have to hold onto both a couple more days and test the raw to see if the differences are any more or less than with jpegs...

-Ray

Bugger...I have no excuse NOT to upgrade to version 4 :D

Can you let us know how good the Raw converter is in LR4 for the LX7 when you get a chance. Thanks

I just did some quick and dirty with the LX7 because I was planning to return it today but wanted to check the raws first. First impression is pretty similar to jpegs. Very useable up to 800, marginal in the 1000-1250 range, and pretty bad by 1600. Lots of noise even at 400 and 800, but still looks good after using Lightroom NR. 1600 has so much noise (in low to medium light) that any detail is already pretty much blown to pieces and NR just smooths out the lack of detail, but its not a choice between detail and noise - the detail was shot. The RX100 jpegs are already sooo much better and it can't be any worse with raw, so I don't even need to check those out right away - I'll just be shooting raw+jpeg for awhile until I see whether there's a compelling reason to go one way or the other and then I'll go that direction. I'd say the LX7 is about a stop better than the LX5 though, maybe slightly more - I was never happy with the LX5 above 400, so there's definitely improvement in that sensor - just not enough to compete with the Sony.

I was stil sort of conflicted about sending the LX7 back because I find it so much more fun to shoot with and I was thinking, 'well, my compact doesn't really NEED to be good in low light - I've got an OMD and X-Pro for that'. But then I did some back to back tests with the GRD3 and its not notably different - both are very workable to 800 and the exposure values aren't too different at the same focal length and approximately the same aperture (f1.8 vs f1.9). And the place where the LX7 is way more useable than the RX100 is for street shooting, but its no more fun than the GRD! So, the LX7 is going back and the RX100 and GRD3 are staying so I'll have both a really fun street camera and a really good IQ compact for more general shooting. Bottom line - I don't really have to think about the RX100's limits when I grab it to take along somewhere - it'll handle damn near anything within its focal range. The LX7 I'd have to really think about and wouldn't take it a lot of times I would take the RX100... Not a tough call really, as much as I like the direction of the LX7...

-Ray

Thanks Ray that's really helpful. I hardly ever shoot above 400 ISO anyway so the LX7 should be good for me. It is supposed to be great at macro also which will be good. As I get my LX7 for free I can put up with it's shortcomings.

Arrg...downloaded RC 4.2 looked at a few RX100 RAW. I'll stick with .jpg and Aperture, LR is WAAYYY too slow! Both importing and processing is just a drag (literally)

I'd send Adobe an email if I was you, with your computer specs and times for imports. They are looking for feedback before 4.2 goes live

BruPri said:
Arrg...downloaded RC 4.2 looked at a few RX100 RAW. I'll stick with .jpg and Aperture, LR is WAAYYY too slow! Both importing and processing is just a drag (literally)

Thanks for posting this.
I was planning to give it a try myself, but sounds like waste of time. I'll waste that time with the camera or a pint of beer instead. ;)

Back