Fuji Lightroom 4.4 X-Trans rumor

At this point I use LR3 and was considering just converting the RAF files to DNG so they'd work with my current software, but this would get me to upgrade to LR4 if its a significant improvement

That would seem to be pretty big news if it's true. I'm still on LR3, as well, since I've been too "snowed under" with the stuff of life to do much of any post processing of late.

Thanks for this Ray!

At this point I use LR3 and was considering just converting the RAF files to DNG so they'd work with my current software, but this would get me to upgrade to LR4 if its a significant improvement

I don't think converting to DNG solves the de-mosaicing issue that's been at the heart of the issue. I doubt they'd release an update (since they technically already support X-Trans raw) unless they'd made some serious progress. So hopefully we'll find out soon.

-Ray

Adobe REALLY needs to fix the crashes when using the adjustment brush strokes. I had to downgrade to LR4.2 because I was experiencing a crash every time I used the adjustment brush strokes.

I don't think converting to DNG solves the de-mosaicing issue that's been at the heart of the issue. I doubt they'd release an update (since they technically already support X-Trans raw) unless they'd made some serious progress. So hopefully we'll find out soon.

-Ray

Right, the conversion to DNG is simply a choice a out a particular format.

I would also as use having a good look at LR 4. Lots of improvements over 3.

About the rumour: I would not be surprised if Adobe improve things for X Files (I made a funny!!). For most of my shots the other applications do not get better results, but for some shots they certainly do. I like LR, so I hope it comes true.

-Ray

The only issue I'd be converting to DNG to solve is that LR3 can't be updated to support Camera Raw 7.2 which is the version needed to even recognize the X-E1's RAF files in LR. I wasn't expecting any better quality by doing it this way, I just didn't want to spend more money on LR4 if the RAW support seemingly wasn't all that great.

The only issue I'd be converting to DNG to solve is that LR3 can't be updated to support Camera Raw 7.2 which is the version needed to even recognize the X-E1's RAF files in LR. I wasn't expecting any better quality by doing it this way, I just didn't want to spend more money on LR4 if the RAW support seemingly wasn't all that great.

Certainly a valid way to access Camera Raw.

One thing I would caution is that the LR conversion only has issues on certain types of image. Generally, it does a good job. More specifically, on e you output to your chosen end product it is rare to notice an issue. Yes, it is not optimal with some images and they should fix that. It is not a disaster for most users.

Very hopeful that this is true. I've got Photoshop, Aperture, SilkyPix, RPP C1 6.x, even tried C1 7.0.2 beta, but Lightroom is the tool for me. And I'm so used to a RAW workflow that I'm kinda struggling to make do with JPG.

Question ... I'm a neophyte to Fuji. For my FF and µ4/3 files, I've been using Aperture for my RAW conversions then I polish the images in CS6. I don't want to learn a new program. I downloaded RPP, I loaded up Silky ... and I don't want to learn another program. What are the plus(s) and minus(s) of a workflow of RAF > DNG > JPEG?

Okay, I'm lazy, so how would I go about this? Or should I just start using CS6 for RAW conversions or buy LR4 or Capture One. I think I just answered my own question, start using CS6 for RAF conversion.

Let's hear from you guys/gals who are higher on the learning curve.

Gary

Gary I went through the whole ORF -> DNG route for a while when I first got my EM5 and LR/CS couldn't handle the files yet. I would convert all my ORFs to DNG using an Adobe tool dumping the output into a folder. Then I would ingest those DNGs into LR or cataloging/minor edits and punch into CS when need be.

You could probably do the same thing - convert to DNG in a batch, import into Aperture and continue with your regular processing.

Gary I went through the whole ORF -> DNG route for a while when I first got my EM5 and LR/CS couldn't handle the files yet. I would convert all my ORFs to DNG using an Adobe tool dumping the output into a folder. Then I would ingest those DNGs into LR or cataloging/minor edits and punch into CS when need be.

You could probably do the same thing - convert to DNG in a batch, import into Aperture and continue with your regular processing.

So the DNG is 100% equal to RAW? I'm not losing anything, not that it matters with my photo skills, just wondering?

As I understand it, both RAW and DNG files contain unprocessed image data. The RAW file also contains extra vendor specific data. When you convert a RAW file (of whatever flavor) to a DNG the resulting DNG should be a bit smaller than the corresponding RAW file it came from. Also edits to a RAW file are stored in a secondary file (called a sidecar) which increases the overall size of a single image, and an edit to a DNG modifies the actual DNG.

So do you lose image in conversion? No. Do you lose data? Yes, but the data lost is in the "Other than image" data fields of the file.

I thought the DNG conversion, depending on settings used, might be doing some kind of raw-to-raw conversion. I haven't tried this, but I wonder if there's any detail lost or "adobe watercolor effect" being introduced? Just thinking out loud there.

Using Lightroom for everything on a Mac works fine with the RAW files, but if, like me, you prefer Aperture, Adobe DNG Converter files from the X-Pro1 are not recognised by Aperture, whereas X10 converted RAW files are ( and X100 RAW is directly read by Aperture). I guess Aperture will not read any converted DNG files from an X-Trans sensor.

Back