Lightroom 4 now available

BB, you can have LR on two different computers. Here's a quote from the Adobe site:

Subject to the terms of the software license agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Lightroom is installed may install a second copy of the software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a home computer, provided that the software is not used on both computers at the same time. Lightroom is sold as multiplatform software, which means it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows.

Aha! Well, as it happens I believe my daughter may already have her own... Can't you just imagine us both using LR at the same time on different computers, if we were sharing the one purchase - oh the arguments that would ensue!:eek::tongue:

Nik have just announced updates to most of their plugins for LR4. SEP comes with a few minor bug fixes as well.

Can't help wondering how long NIK can get away with their current pricing given that some of their plugins now cost more than LR.

CA removal works much better in this version then with my playing around with sliders in 3.6.
I've been using the Beta for quiet a while and the exposure control + CA removal are some of the biggest improvements.

I also used the beta.
Unfortunately, while the "automatic" removal works more-or-less adequately for images with small CA problems (my native m4/3 lenses for instance - the 17mm in particular), the lack of controls makes it rather harder to manage with legacy lenses with significantly greater problems ... in fact, it makes it impossible to remove CA on some images, whereas with my LR3 sliders, I could do plenty to ameliorate it.
I don't doubt the largest number of LR users use lenses that don't suffer with large amounts of CA, hence them considering that "auto" mode is a step forward.
However, I almost always consider it a retrograde step when software authors remove functionality in this way.

I forgot to check this in the beta ... but they still haven't changed the behaviour for Olympus raw, whereby if you shoot in other than native 4:3 aspect in camera, you're stuck with it ... LR can't "see" the "whole" raw file ... also annoying

apart from that - seems to manage denoise better, which is important for us users of obsolete sensors :D

Back