Lightroom 4 now available

olli

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
olli
The final version of Lightroom 4 appears to be available on the Adobe website. This is a much quicker transition from beta to final product than has normally been the case with Lightroom. The list price is $399 - in line with earlier versions - but it is on sale right now for $149. The upgrade price is $99.

I say appears to be because there are a few odd things going on on Adobe's redesigned (and slightly irritating) site. Choosing the upgrade option takes you to a dialogue where you can select from a number of options, but the option for identifying your current version runs off the side of the dialogue box and (on hover) only specifies upgrade from Version 1 or 2, with no way to select version 3 (at the moment).

6812005050_c5b9dd8683_o.jpg

Also linking to the 'try' page brings you to a page that manages to list both version 3 and version 4 as the trial product.

Hopefully Adobe will sort this out soon - I particularly hope that that upgrade problem is only a layout problem and doesn't reflect a decision by Adobe to permit upgrades only from LR 1 and 2. That said, I suspect it might be deliberate. I can't think of any other reason why they would offer the full product at only $149. Those of us who are dedicated Adobe LR users, having already sampled LR4 through the Beta will be getting LR4 either way. Adobe knows this - so they have us over a barrel on this one if they choose.

But click on 'buy'' in the product page and its $99 (which is what it has normally been for previous releases. The educational version is listed at $79 though). It also says you can upgrade 'from an eligible previous version' (emphasis added), suggesting not all previous versions - i.e. LR3 - are eligible. So Adobe might be claiming that LR3 users can get LR4 and save $150, whereas they will be paying an extra $50.

I hope this isn't true - after the shambles of the PS upgrade policy I would have though they would have come to their senses. If it is true, those people who recently paid $70 for LR3 and now have to pay $149 to get LR4 - the same as they would have if they hadn't bothered with LR3 - will be very annoyed.

Just check back and the website has changed. Now listing upgrade from LR3:) and listing upgrade price at $79:). I assume in the version I looked at earlier this morning they hadn't updated the data fully from the old LR3 information - hence the $99 price and the upgrade from LR1 and LR2 only.

Moral of the story Adobe - don't put your pages live until you have them fully ready to go.

Also, Michael Reichmann at Luminous Landscapes has the Advanced Guide to LR4 available at 25% off (for those who didn't get it at 35% off during the Beta phase.) The best guide to LR there is (IMHO of course).

I just bought the LR4 upgrade for $79, and tax!! I had no idea Adobe charged tax here in Texas. Oh well. It imported the LR3.6 over, and everything is running smoothly. I did not try out the beta, so I had no idea what to expect. Biggest change that I saw was getting rid of "brightness" and "recover." Now, the exposure is controlled by highlights, shadows, whites, blacks, and of course, exposure.

Sharpening seems to work better. I can increase sharpness more on DNG files without making the image as jaggedy. I think there's a technical term for that, but I can't recall right now.

Olli, thanks for the heads up on LR4!

Amazingly the price in the UK (from Adobe's site) is c.£60 for the upgrade, c.£105 for new ... so they seem to have at last abandoned the "£-per-$" exchange rate that fuels so much piracy ...

UK readers,..PLEASE consider NOT falling victim to this until Adobe adopts fair pricing strategy and stops simply replacing the dollars with pounds thus forcing us to pay nearly TWICE THE PRICE for a box with a CD in it.......

....Fatuous 'deal' on lightroom 3 to clear shelves for lightroom 4 noted with anger!!!!!

pdh,...your prices appear to be the 'student/education' version.

Well OK, but here's a screenshot of the purchase screen and I can't see a mention of it being the education price ...

lr4.jpg

The latter - it's a full version
You need to be able to supply proof (a scan I think is acceptable) of a student or Staff ID - you don;t have to be full time either.

She's actually taking some classes now... I'll see what we can do as she also has LR. Too bad one can't get a two for one...or can you download it on to two different computers? I feel as though I remember something about that...

you just have to find where adobe have hidden their secret monitoring cameras in your house, and cover up the lenses . then they can't see you cheating on them

UK Pricing

Just to confirm that the prices in the screenshots I posted are correct in the UK ... Adobe have just accepted my order for full (not education) versions at these prices

Back