Lightroom 4 slow slow slow - very disappointed [Updated 6 june 2012]

I've always been afraid to try a release candidate: sounds too much like beta testing. I wind up monitoring the comments while waiting for the official release. Not always easy being patient...!

bartjeej, if 3.6 worked acceptably fast on your netbook, then it's not unreasonable to expect the "upgrade" to be OK (although of course if it's specification is below Adobe's stated minimum for v4 I guess one can't complain too loudly :)), but it may still help to post your experience at the Adobe feedback site as I suggested above

Lightroom 3.6 works perfectly on my machine, too.

I generally wait until a full release too Chuck, but in this case the full release of 4.0 was so bad that I'm desperate for improvement ... Adobe have had to rush out 4.1 RCs in response to the deluge of complaints about performance

I generally wait until a full release too Chuck, but in this case the full release of 4.0 was so bad that I'm desperate for improvement ... Adobe have had to rush out 4.1 RCs in response to the deluge of complaints about performance

So were there performance improvements with 4.1RC?

As far as I can remember (I started using Lightroom with version 3.0) there has never been two release candidates of a minor version before.

I am not sure. My first impression about Lightroom 4 was not that bad at all. My first impression of Lightroom 4.1 RC1 was that it was a little bit faster. Now I am using Lightroom 4.1 RC2 and I am not sure about any big improvements. I don't experience any annoying speed issues anymore apart from sharpening after applying noise reduction, which I seldom do, but it isn't as fast as Lightroom 3.6 anywhere (in my opinion nearly everything has become slower).

4.1 rc1 was produced specifically to address the performance issues.
4.1 rc2 had a few other tweaks (adding back in manual CA adjustment being one) and was also supposed to improve performance.

On my system (and plenty of other people's so far as I can tell), neither release has improved performance (although the CA and fringing adjustments are excellent!)

4.1 rc2 had a few other tweaks (adding back in manual CA adjustment being one) and was also supposed to improve performance.

You are not right here. Lightroom 4.1 RC2 added new color fringe correction controls. There is no possibility to correct CAs manually as we have been used to in Lightroom 3.

well, it is strictly correct to say that there are not the same controls as in 3.x - but there are manual controls which did not exist in 4.0 or 4.1rc1

Can't thank you all enough for keeping this thread alive. I'm still with 3.6 and I have to say after reading this, I'm glad I still am.

Hopefully all will be fixed very soon. I can only imagine how upset I'd be and since I'd never figure out how to reinstall, I'd be really unhappy if I were one of the people negatively impacted by all of this.

I've been using the full 4.1 release now for a few days, and there is certainly some improvement in performance, although there is still significant degradation in response (associated with vry high processor and memory usage) when using denoise & sharpening functions.

It's somewhat disappointing but certainly better than nothing.

Anyone still considering whether to upgrade to 4.1 ... well it might still be a bit of a lottery as to whether you experience significant degradation; however there is no doubt in my mind that the increased functionality over 3.6 is very nice to have indeed.

it's working pretty well with my new laptop, most changes I make are processed within half a second, with sharpening and noise-reduction sometimes taking 1 or 2 seconds... but nothing that really slows me down :)

So, all in all you're giving this 4.1 a thumbsup?

Although Lightroom 4.1 is slower than Lightroom 3.6, that does not get in my way at all. On the other hand I would not like to miss the improvements, because they make the new version very enjoyable. The new way of doing things in the general development tab is so much better, there is so much more dynamic range available due to the new process. The automatic correction of chromatic aberrations is great and a huge time saver!

Glad to hear/read this, Christian. I will have to upgrade one of these days soon, for sure.

Now that I've seen the Blurb book, I'd like to find out how their interface works with the new version of LR. If anyone reading this has used it please chime in!

For me, I'm finding the library module no problem at all. The development module, though, is slower in 4.x, but the newest update has improved it over 4.0. Still not back to 3.x levels, though.

Back