Apple Lightroom Classic updated to support Silicon Macs

Matero

Hall of Famer
I just wondered few days ago how long can it take for Adobe to start supporting Silicon M1 Macs with Lightroom Classic.

Well, the update is now ongoing on the background šŸ˜Ž

EDIT:
And the new Universal Lightroom Classic feels snappy on M1 Mac mini with just 16GB memory. (And Big Sur 11.4 MacOS)

Last edited:
You have been running Lightroom through Rosetta 2, it hasnā€™t been native Apple Silicon code. Iā€™ve been doing the same :)

But now the newest version of Lightroom Classic is Silicon M1 native. To be even more confusing Lightroom has been M1 native already some time šŸ„“

The performance difference is clearly visible comparing native LR and Intel version through Rosetta, on the benefit of M1 native

Interesting. Does Rosetta automatically run in the background?

Either way, I am coming from a 2007 iMac, so the performance improvement was already huge for me. :D
Yes, Rosetta should be totally invisible and automatic background process to the user. Sometimes something eventually goes wrong with these types of emulators and it can be difficult to find out and fix.

For me ā€˜the bottleneckā€™ is NAS and network (I keep my originals in the NAS), but Iā€™m not in a hurry. But still the performance is improved substantially with the native LR classic.

Back