Advice Wanted lightroom classic

lucien

Legend
Hi I'm at the beginning stages of editing photos, I can crop, exposure, contrast, convert to black and white, use lens correction level etc. I'm at a road block now. How do I get a totally black background and then add my image after without doing something to my image. I'll look around online, not really into vids. Just a step by step thing. I can also do spot removal. But how would you get rid of a beer can or bottle?

thanks,

thanks, I'm on a budget and photo shop is over kill for the stuff I do. I'll look around though. And I got it for a really good price.

To remove a beer can, if the background is suitable, you could use the Healing tool. As for the black background, what are you trying to do? Do you mean you want to create a black border around your image?

I can do spot removal, but what about a shopping cart? I use it all the time for cloud photos. But a shopping cart? Beyond me. Increase the size of the healing brush and the software will find a suitable spot.

if possible I have a bubbles thread. It is a query and long winded but I produced images today. And I'm not pleased with the results. I even used a black bristol board and it's not dark enough. If I darken the background I will also darken the object I want to keep light "the bubble" I just thought it would be a 5 step thing in lightroom aka

go to chose this

choose this.....

etc... It's not a problem. Thanks for the input

If your background is uniformly darker than your subject, you could conceivably use one of the gradients with a luminance range mask to preferentially darken the background. To the extent that the bubbles are transparent, you might have trouble. It might be possible to brush away the range mask in spots. Another approach might be to move the background further away from the bubbles, move the lighting closer to the bubbles and use baffles to keep light from the background. If you have trouble with the background being too small, use a longer lens.

The best black background is velvet – it eats light. It folds up nicely, so storage is not a problem. This was shot with window light against a black velvet background arranged to be unlit by the window while the orchid was nicely illuminated. All processing in Lightroom.

_H2B5203cam.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm giving up on Lightroom. It won't open. I tried their fix, which included a clean install of my graphics drivers, thereby erasing all my color calibration settings, it appeared to fix the problem until I tried to open my catalog. Now I get the same error as before with the same suggested fix. I'll be damned if I am going to recalibrate my monitor again because Adobes generic fixes don't work. I always preferred Lightroom to Capture One, but I may be headed in that direction. I'll keep my Creative Cloud subscription for now, because no other program has worked as well as Photoshop for final edits. Grrrrr.. Stopped working from one day to the next.

Last edited:
I'm giving up on Lightroom. It won't open. I tried their fix, which included a clean install of my graphics drivers, thereby erasing all my color calibration settings, it appeared to fix the problem until I tried to open my catalog. Now I get the same error as before with the same suggested fix. I'll be damned if I am going to recalibrate my monitor again because Adobes generic fixes don't work. I always preferred Lightroom to Capture One, but I may be headed in that direction. I'll keep my Creative Cloud subscription for now, because no other program has worked as well as Photoshop for final edits. Grrrrr.. Stopped working from one day to the next.
I’m just here to empathise. Once every 3 or 4 months I always seem to swear I’m giving up on creative cloud. The frustration when its apps decide not to work (almost as if it’s dismissively looking down on the computer upon which it’s installed) can be enormous.

I’m just here to empathise. Once every 3 or 4 months I always seem to swear I’m giving up on creative cloud. The frustration when its apps decide not to work (almost as if it’s dismissively looking down on the computer upon which it’s installed) can be enormous.
I'm cautiously optimistic. Right now I am importing my catalog after a clean install. It's about 2/3 of the way there. The catalog has to be reduced of drek, but it will be easier to do that once I'm inside Lightroom, where I can get rid of it from both the hard drive and the catalog with a click.

Oh Lordy! It's done and it seems to work. Now I just have to recalibrate my monitor, which is too yellow green. Why is the default color setting of so many graphics cards pea soup, not "pee soup", as I originally typed. The older I get the more I embarrass myself with homonyms.

Yeah, got it up and running and going through old folder to weed things out, I found this keeper, exported it successfully to open the tiff up and Photoshop and then in photoshop did the final edits and converted it to a jpeg I don't mind sharing online. My normal work flow, in other words. I'll put this on the kitty thread too.
PB087057-Recovered.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Spoke too soon. After working for two hours it crashed during an import of my pictures from this year and now will not let me back end.. I'm done for now. It's after midnight and it's been a busy day, including a trip to the pain clinic, which is going to set me up for a cervical radiofrequency ablation. Pain sucks.

Sorry to monopolize the thread with my frustrated rant about Lightroom.. I like Lightroom, which is why I want it to work for me.

But I have no answer to the original post. I'm not that good at either Lightroom or Photoshop and use them as digital darkrooms, which I know my way around after 30 of working as a custom printer. If I had the same problem them I'd use the selection tool in PHotoshop to outline the subject and then copy and past it into a new document with a black background, or select the inverse of the selected subject and fill it with black. There are probably better solutions, but I don't know them.

Back