Film Linear scans using Silverfast and Plustek 8100 scanner

Cerita

Veteran
I have spent today scanning linear raw files using the above and I have to say I am very pleased with how much detail is scanned. Using Colorperfect to give the right film type colours seems to be working well. Here is a neg and then a positive with Colorperfect's portra 160 profile, straight out of the scanner, no edits. I am impressed with how much detail it resolves. Sorry could not load the actual sized tiff files.

View attachment 148772

View attachment 148773

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though there are no BW profiles in Colorperfect, it uses a default BW setting that is way better than just inverting the negative scan in LR. Here is an example of Kentmere 400.

I think (for now) I have found my workflow for 35mm film. It has taken me a long time to get to this point, so many opinions out there, and very different ones, enough to drive one a bit batty LOL!

View attachment 148774

View attachment 148775

I have a similar (or the same model, don’t know) scanner are results are pretty good. It is just the time it takes that (plus nowadays shooting more 120) that made me put it up for sale.

I have a similar (or the same model, don’t know) scanner are results are pretty good. It is just the time it takes that (plus nowadays shooting more 120) that made me put it up for sale.

It's a fairly good scanner, I would say better than the lab. I have a Espon V600 for 120 film but it's not that great, I would prefer a dedicated 120 scanner like the Plustek 120 but it's very expensive! The German made Crystal Reflecta (I think that's the name) looks good too, but it's even more expensive than the Plustek.

I have gotten as far as buying the chemicals to develop my film, but this scanner thing has me baffled at the moment. Don't know what I want or even what I would need to get the job done well. Haven't put too much effort into it I confess. I've been sending everything to the Darkroom. Developing the film doesn't worry me, but adding another piece into my editing work flow does. It's expensive sending my film off but the Darkroom does a really good job so I pay it for the time being.

Have you taken a look on e-bay there are always plenty on there and you may pick up a bargain.

I have a couple of scanners, A Kodak/Pakon 135 which I use for 135 and was fortunate enough to get before the prices went crazy and an Epson V550 for 120. The Pakon is a bit of a dinosaur. but works great, and does a whole roll of 36 in about 5 minutes. I find the Epson software very clunky but adequate and the results are as good as I've had from some labs. Both have the ability to scan strips of film rather than one frame at a time like all but the newest Plustek models which means you don't have to sit next to them feeding in the film for each scan. It's just a little more user friendly. If you are just scanning to upload to the internet and probably for printing up A3 then IMO an Epson (or similar spec Canon) or even the new Kodak scanner would be more than adequate and a good way to get into the whole developing, scanning workflow process.

Thanks Bob. I guess I'm getting lazy in my older years Lol, I just don't want to have to learn another complicated piece of software, But that being said I'm going to be forced into it. I'm shooting more film now than Digital ( because I enjoy the experience more ) and it's 20 bucks US a roll to get it developed and digitized. I want something like you described that I can get on with and get my photos in my Library. The Pakon would be great but that's a retirement bonus check away. I'll dive in and learn on a flatbed or the Plustek. I didn't enjoy learning Photoshop, but now that I know my way around I wouldn't be without it. I have looked at the Plustek 8100 and feel pretty good with learning on it. and it's with in budget. The Pakons I saw were 1000-1250 US.

Thanks Bob. That cleared up more than a few things. I'm going to have to learn more. I'm still foggy on how large I can print some of the files I will get. Will dig deeper into this. I don't mind saving up to get the one that will work for what I want.

Final alternative you may wish to consider is to use your digital camera, macro lens (or lens and extension tube) a light box and a suitable camera stand (or tripod) and take a digital image. These can then be converted to positives in Photoshop etc. There's lots of debate and how to's about this on the internet if you search, and Nikon now even offer this as a built in option on their newest camera along with an adapter to hold the film!

Hope that's helpful.

Reviving this post again to say, I scanned with a slightly different WF this weekend, and I am amazed at the amount of detail I got from the BW negs! I changed one variable in Vuescan, input at 48 rgb and output at 16 bit. I am not sure if this was what stepped things up or just using a dedicated film scanner and Vuescan in combination. I really want to get the Opticfilm 120 but the reviews are not all that positive. Has anyone heard of any recent feedback about the 120? Most of the not so great reviews seem to be from the 2015-2016 era, maybe Plustek fixed the problems in recent builds?

And EVEN more so now, as I was scanning with the Epson V600 today, the crappy, horrible holder cracked in half!!!!

Last edited:
Back