Linux Linuxed my Macbook again! (Linux image processing)

Just thought I'd throw it out there for no good reason at all. I now have a Macbook that's called MintyMac. I'm importing (in place) to Shotwell, and have installed Gimp with the ufRaw plugin. I also installed XNViewMP though I have not yet used it. Early days and I am just as likely to revert to MacOS before many days have passed, or when some dependency isnt met and something crashes the system :)

Any recommendations for photo editors from other Linux users? I know you're out there :) (Not darktable or digikam, both are dogs on my system, and I will likely install RawTherapee today sometime. But surely there's more?

Just thought I'd throw it out there for no good reason at all. I now have a Macbook that's called MintyMac. I'm importing (in place) to Shotwell, and have installed Gimp with the ufRaw plugin. I also installed XNViewMP though I have not yet used it. Early days and I am just as likely to revert to MacOS before many days have passed, or when some dependency isnt met and something crashes the system :)

Any recommendations for photo editors from other Linux users? I know you're out there :) (Not darktable or digikam, both are dogs on my system, and I will likely install RawTherapee today sometime. But surely there's more?
Will you need more? I have RawTherapee installed at work - it’s pretty good!

Will you need more?
I like to see whats out there and play with. got Aftrshot Pro 3, and find that my licence key works as well for that as it does for Mac. Alas, its even clunkier in Linux so I’ll be disposing of it. Disposed of XNViewMP as well
also use the Nik suite, and they work great using Wine as the loader.
I’ll try that, I like to use Nik as much as I can, having acquired it s a paid item.

Good on ya, @kyteflyer!
RawTherapee is pretty popular because of the ease of use.

Darktable is another a more hardcore software for me but is much more technical. I have both, by the way.

I ran across this new Filmulator Linux app (and Windows too) on Reddit: Filmulator. It's a non-destructive RAW editor like Darktable but is focused on getting that film look. It's getting more support by the day.

I ran across this new Filmulator Linux app (and Windows too) on Reddit: Filmulator. It's a non-destructive RAW editor like Darktable but is focused on getting that film look. It's getting more support by the day.
This software looks as though it might have some potential. I'm still trying to get to grips with the image import function, I'm not a fan of software that imports images which in my hands seems to run wild and do its own thing, I much prefer something that picks up an image in my treed file system over which I of course have full contro, or perhaps more correctly it's simple enough for me to understand! I have at least found my imported images and worked on one or two, the control of the processing of an image requires some relearning to achieve the desired effect. At least on Linux the use of an AppImage gives a fully functioning stand alone system that doesn't require installing. I probably need a new hard drive to set up a "data base" on dedicated to images I'll try and process with this application, all good fun for a rainy day except we haven't seen any rain hereabouts for ages!

Barrie

I ran across this new Filmulator Linux app
OK, found out how to manage appimage... but no, filmulator is not for me. Also Shotwell is not as good as I thought, I was sure there was an edit-in menu item but cant find it and cant find how to define an external editor, even though you can edit in the defined external editor. Maybe the current version missed out something. So, RawTherapee it is.

[edit] Hrmmm must have been asleep when I looked for those Shotwell settings. Found them now. So its shotwell for management, and Gimp + UFRaw for editing. I like to keep things simple. Also I only have a 250GB SSD on this machine. Plan is to go to 1TB.. sometime.

Installed the Nik suite into Wine and now can't find it.

Last edited:
This software looks as though it might have some potential. I'm still trying to get to grips with the image import function, I'm not a fan of software that imports images which in my hands seems to run wild and do its own thing, I much prefer something that picks up an image in my treed file system over which I of course have full contro, or perhaps more correctly it's simple enough for me to understand!
Me too. I prefer to have full control.
OK, found out how to manage appimage... but no, filmulator is not for me.
Not for me, too, at least with its current state. I guess it's more of a side app for me just in case urgently need that Kodachrome look, which I can replicate easily with Darktable. Cheers.

Back