Fuji Livin' the Low-Fi Life

Okay then, inspired by @KillRamsey I decided to take the next step in in my low-fi adventure so I purchased Polarr Pro ($5) and went Fuji JPEGs, then to Polarr (a very lightweight editor that is remarkably powerful) and then to Flickr. I decided to go with the paid version instead of the free Polarr in order to get more filter options, the ability build my own filters and making tools...and at $5 it was a pretty low risk.

25686443406_e074d538a7_b.jpg

Antler Apt.
by kevin dixey, on Flickr

For some here the X10 represents the Hi-Life of their camera collection (no apologies necessary). Not the most expensive camera I've ever bought that honour goes to the Canon Digital Still Video (model?). But of recent times the X10 was a fair step up in outlay.
Personally I normally use Jpegs & whatever processing comes to mind - mostly Perfect Effects 9 with Picasa and occasionally the Fuji Studio

24932077444_2a59b5f950_b.jpg

Blue Wall 2
by Roger Evans, on Flickr​

For some here the X10 represents the Hi-Life of their camera collection (no apologies necessary). Not the most expensive camera I've ever bought that honour goes to the Canon Digital Still Video (model?). But of recent times the X10 was a fair step up in outlay.
Personally I normally use Jpegs & whatever processing comes to mind - mostly Perfect Effects 9 with Picasa and occasionally the Fuji Studio
24932077444_2a59b5f950_b.jpg

Blue Wall 2
by Roger Evans, on Flickr​

Love the blue shot. FWIW I don't mean the term low-fi as a negative in any way, simply to contrast it form what I am used to. The small sensor and shooting JPEG (especially BW) is really the antithesis of what I have been doing for the past few years.

The X10 is a GREAT camera, the lens is sharp and 6MP has excellent dynamic range- plus it just feels great to hold and use. The only reason I still don't own one is I needed telephoto and better video, so now have another low-fi camera- Nikon V1.

Either is capable of very nice 8 x 10's, which is honestly the upper limit of what I'll ever need.

A little tip for X10 users- the Ricoh TC-200M 1.5x teleconverter can be found cheaply on EBay with a little patience, and mates perfectly with the X10 if you want to extend its zoom range. It has a rear filter thread of 52mm which fits right to the X10 filter adapter. Autofocus still works well with it attached.

The X10 is a GREAT camera, the lens is sharp and 6MP has excellent dynamic range- plus it just feels great to hold and use. The only reason I still don't own one is I needed telephoto and better video, so now have another low-fi camera- Nikon V1.

Either is capable of very nice 8 x 10's, which is honestly the upper limit of what I'll ever need.

A little tip for X10 users- the Ricoh TC-200M 1.5x teleconverter can be found cheaply on EBay with a little patience, and mates perfectly with the X10 if you want to extend its zoom range. It has a rear filter thread of 52mm which fits right to the X10 filter adapter. Autofocus still works well with it attached.

Great tip on the teleconverter...thanks!

Next step in the low-fi life is working on an entirely mobile workflow. After seeing @KillRamsey write about Polarr I took a look and found it to be very nice to work with. I got the Pro version for my laptop ($5) because I wanted the ability to make filters and the few of the "extra" features but the free or online versions would have been fine as well. I also got the free app for my tablet and so far that's working really well. Now to figure out the best way to store these files.

...A little tip for X10 users- the Ricoh TC-200M 1.5x teleconverter can be found cheaply on EBay with a little patience, and mates perfectly with the X10 if you want to extend its zoom range. It has a rear filter thread of 52mm which fits right to the X10 filter adapter. Autofocus still works well with it attached.

Great tip, but they are coming up on search for between 180-300 quid! o_O

Back