Lock keeper's cottage

Just playing around with Lightroom. What do you think? Be as brutal as you like :)

attachment.php

I like you final image a lot. I find Lightroom to be overwhelming at times, some of the time I can get an image to look exactly like I imagine it in my mind rather quickly, other times (like my last image I worked on) took me 2 days to get what I wanted.. :dash2:

Great shot. :)

Ok ... If I could have, I would have tried going wider angle to get more context into the shot. The lock house doesn't need to be front and center for it to be the "draw-in."

Very much like the contrast and black and white.

This is just a bit of nit-picking, but I think if it had been me composing the shot, I'd have changed position slightly so that the window on the right wasn't obscured by the lock gate mechanism. It's a bit like a thumb in front of someone's eye.

Otherwise fine!

-R

I like it, but I'd love it if there was a bit of punch somewhere. Lot of midtone in this shot....needs an oomph of pure white to go with the black and take the dairy of the mids. Personal opinion or taste of course. Hope youu don't mind.

Agree with Richard. i like the treatment and choice of subject, but was distracted by the mechanism on the right being smack on the window. Still, it's a good pic. Just could have been better. Please share more as you are able. Wondering - do you have others of the same subject?

Thanks all for your feedback and ideas.
The photo was taken at a place called Top Lock on the Leeds Liverpool canal.
I don't think a wider angle shot is possible because of some trees. I will try a wider angle shot next time I go back. If no one is looking I may try to climb one of the trees to keep the lock mechanism from getting in the way ;)
Here's a shot from another angle.
View attachment 555

Attachments

• DSCF2419 - pse 5 copy.jpg
    DSCF2419 - pse 5 copy.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 118
I think the first shot is more traditional, the second a little more dynamic. I like them both, but trying to place the locking mechanism is the trick. I rather think the location is worth a series.

I think the first shot is more traditional, the second a little more dynamic. I like them both, but trying to place the locking mechanism is the trick. I rather think the location is worth a series.

It is a nice location with other interesting things besides the cottage to photograph. I shall go back soon to try and get some improved shots.
Thanks again to all who commented (y)

I think the second shot was more dynamic with its leading lines.. this last one of the cottage is a vast improvement over the first. Don't ever be afraid to keep walking around, at least as far as you are allowed to, to see if you can get an interesting angle.

Back