Fuji Long telephoto lens

a 55-200mm lens isn't long enough for the photographs I need to to complete a project.
Is their any way to get out to 400mm plus focal length still using my Fuji system?
Previously I used Canon equipment. The longest lens was a 28-300mm which is also not long enough for what I am am trying to achieve.
High quality images are essential to go with the other images already shot with the Fuji X-T1, X Pro-1 and Fuji X series lenses.
Any advice would be gratefullt accepted.

What Bill said. There's a long zoom on the roadmap from Fuji, out to 400 I think? But it's not due for awhile. Meanwhile, you have mirror lenses, or adapted glass.

Thanks Bill. I have read the link you sent.
The shots I want to get are birds in desert country around water. The Fuji roadmap puts their long lens and even the teleconverter in the 'light years away' category for what I want to get. The opportunity to photograph is seasonal as well.
Up until now all the Fuji x series lenses have been excellent for the what I have needed. I just need that extra glass to be able to shoot birds which tend to flee if they are approached at, say, the 300mm range.
Regards Peter

If you can manage this project with manual focus, there are some old Nikon (AI and AIS) and Pentax (M and A) 300mm f/4 manual focus lenses from the 70s and 80s that are very good optically, and that can be mounted via an adapter.

Or an old Tokina 400mm f/5.6 AF lens from the 90s that had a pretty good reputation and was reasonably priced (was a popular lens with budget-minded bird photographers who weren't ready to spring for a 500mm f/4). For that matter, Pentax and Nikon both also had really sharp 400mm f/5.6 manual focus lenses too.

Of course that's really long, but if you don't need that much reach, the 200mm f/4 Nikon AIS lens would give you 300mm equivalent on the Fujis and can be found for under $200. It's not quite as sharp as the other longer lenses above, but it's pretty decent.

I've seen many of these at bargains lately on eBay or the various photo forum used gear boards. MF only but currently the best way to get to long FL's on Fuji.

If it's an absolute necessity, then another option is a older Micro Four Thirds body & the Olympus 75-300 since there is a 2.0 crop factor with that system.

If you can manage this project with manual focus, there are some old Nikon (AI and AIS) and Pentax (M and A) 300mm f/4 manual focus lenses from the 70s and 80s that are very good optically, and that can be mounted via an adapter.

Or an old Tokina 400mm f/5.6 AF lens from the 90s that had a pretty good reputation and was reasonably priced (was a popular lens with budget-minded bird photographers who weren't ready to spring for a 500mm f/4). For that matter, Pentax and Nikon both also had really sharp 400mm f/5.6 manual focus lenses too.

Of course that's really long, but if you don't need that much reach, the 200mm f/4 Nikon AIS lens would give you 300mm equivalent on the Fujis and can be found for under $200. It's not quite as sharp as the other longer lenses above, but it's pretty decent.

I've seen many of these at bargains lately on eBay or the various photo forum used gear boards. MF only but currently the best way to get to long FL's on Fuji.

I know a tad old of a thread, but I've been using a Vivitar 70-210mm f3.5 series 1(Nikon mount) that I like, but I'm finding it's a tad short and focusing isn't as nice as previous copy I had(MD mount, which used on my m4/3 camera). I'm looking for a longer focal length zoom lens right now as there isn't too many options for X cameras right now. The Samyang 300mm looks good, but I prefer a zoom. Any suggestion on a zoom lens that goes to 300mm or longer? I'll be using this on my X-E1 generally handheld(have a monopod, but still preferred handheld for my wild-life shots).

Which model is that Sigma 200-400? Same for the Tamron? Like I see a few different gens on them I think. These are all manual aperture, correct? Cause I think the Sigma 170-500 may not be, or am I looking at a newer model?

Last edited by a moderator:
The sigma I see is a over 1k, but maybe I am looking at the wrong one? And the 170-500 has a DG version and non DG version. And the Tamron 200-500mm looks to also have two version(one with LD IF and one without?).

I'm expecting the Fuji Superzoom in the first qtr of 2016. I've just sold my 55-200 to further build up the "war chest", which is already looking "healthy" in anticipation of the X-Pro2...

It will be ideal for wildlife, sports (I shoot predominantly cricket, rugby and motor racing) and airshows.

I purchased an EF/EF-S to XF adapter that works OK with my Canon 100-400 - the problem is the loss of Autofocus. As long as your not trying to get the birds moving this might work with your 300. I also have a Canon 100 mm Macro that this adapter is fantastic for since for Macro I don't need the AF.

Yes, when the 100-400 is announced I hope to be the first on Pre-Order :)

Does Nikon or Canon offer zoom, cause 300mm is the min I am looking for(well 250mm is also acceptable, but less common focal length)/ I prefer a zoom, when I shoot wildlife, as it lets me get the shot better sometimes. I've always been decent at shooting bif with a MF lens.

Back