Fuji Longer lasting battery

ferrydds

Regular
Name
DAVID S. FERRY III,DDS
Can FUJI design a much longer lasting battery than the NP-W-126? Can we forward this to FUJI.This is my only complaint with my XE-2.Love my results.David S. Ferry.

I am pretty sure that Fuji doesn't design batteries, as this should rather be the job of battery manufacturers. I am not aware of any battery technology that could be a game-changer in the camera business real soon. If it existed, everybody would use it. However, it may well be possible to extend the battery life with current technologies by a margin.

I suppose Fuji could simply specify a higher capacity battery for any given camera model. But there's no free lunch: higher capacity almost always means a physically bigger battery.

That's what they did with the X30, now offering almost twice the durability of the RX100III, even with the Fuji's high-res real-time EVF. The X30 was immediately called too heavy, too large, not compact enough etc.

To be fair I got the thick end of 1000 exposures out of one battery in my X-T1 at the air show the other day. I have two bodies and five batteries between them and that is the first time I have run one down totally in a day.

I would rather the small battery maintaining the form factor (i can easily slip a couple in my pocket if i think i'll need more than one spare) I shot a gig (3 bands) with 2 bodies the other week, not in high performance mode but i tend to shoot evf only, and only light up the lcd to review occasionally) I have 5 batteries as well (and 2 chargers - though I'd love to see a gang charger for say 4 batteries at a time come out - Chinese knockoff guys are you listening ;) ) so I don't worry about it any more

Yeah this doesn't even make my list of wishes. I have 3 batteries, I never run Hi Perf mode, and whenever I can I use EVF + Sensor so it's basically off unless I have it up to my face. I don't review jpgs much, and I don't leave the camera on walking between shots. As a result I got (for example) about 500 shots over a 4 day weekend at thanksgiving, and didn't drain one battery. I didn't even bring the charger, knowing I had two reserves fully charged in the bag.

A longer lasting (and also larger) battery is certainly on Fuji's radar for future system camera models, but I am against it if this means that I am losing downward compatibility with existing batteries and chargers. I want to keep using my existing infrastructure of original and third-party chargers and original and third-party batteries.

Yes, Rico. I can and I do but -- personal preference -- I would rather not have that weight in my hand but on my belt in certain situations.

There doesn't seem to be much of a market, because I haven't seen any third-party offerings for such things. It would be very easy to accomplish. It's sad.

Just to be clear why it would be easy: Many X cameras are designed to have a cable coming out of the closed battery compartment, as Fuji is already offering an adapter for external power sources (like a normal external power supply that connects to a wall outlet). So all it needs is an external battery pack that connects to this already existing adapter.

Hi All,

I just did my first 'walk around' this morning with my newly acquired X-E2 - and was surprised how rapidly the battery died?! I shot a total of 86 images in RAW+JPG mode in about 2 hours, 36 of those were with the 60mm f/2.4 which did a lot of hunting when trying to focus, but the balance were with the 35mm f/1.4 - and the battery was completely dead (it had been fully charged the day before and not taken any shots since it was charged prior to these)? Is this typical of people's experiences?

Some additional points:
1. I picked up my X-E2 as an 'as new' second hand body - so I am unsure if the camera & battery (a) have had a lot of use and just look pristine, or (b) have had little or no use and the battery was charged a couple of times then sat around unused for several months before being traded in whereupon I purchased it? (Incidentally I have heard the batteries can need fully charging and fully discharging a few times to get full performance out of them?)

2. LCD/Viewfinder, etc was probably active in total for about a third plus of that time or so - so 45-60 minutes - so would battery be expected to drain if used continuously for say 1 hour continuously taking 1 photo per minute? (I did periodically turn the camera off when I wasn't expecting to take a shot for a few minutes - as it's my default process for preserving battery power).

I am not stressed by this or anything, as I am planning to add at least 1 extra battery to my kit - but haven't done so yet until I've worked out what the normal life is like, but was a little surprised (I realise they are smaller batteries with less charge than my Nikon DSLR EN-EL's)... I think the biggest surprise was how rapidly it seemed to drain at the end, and some weird viewfinder behaviour that in hindsight probably indicated a low battery before the battery indicator did (it was sluggish to update after an image was captured, and also when initially focussing often came up all white and took 2-3 seconds to display the view)...

Appreciate any thoughts or experiences related to battery life with the X series, especially the X-E2 (I do understand the X-T1 in particular has a very short battery life)?

Are your cameras set to HIGH PERFORMANCE?

I never run Hi Perf mode, and whenever I can I use EVF + Sensor so it's basically off unless I have it up to my face. I don't review jpgs much, and I don't leave the camera on walking between shots...

Hi All - Is there any good forum posts or FAQs or webpages anywhere talking about the settings to best optimize battery life versus operational convenience/getting the best images out of an X-E2 (or similar)?

Back