Longwood Gardens

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
I've lived near the somewhat famous Longwood Gardens for nearly 20 years and have been there once or twice in that time. And for some reason, had never walked around the place with a camera. I'm not one for taking macro shots of pretty flowers (not interested and plenty of people do it well enough already!), but there's a lot there even without that type of thing. I think its gonna be a fun place to visit through all of the seasons. Here are a few recent shots. These are a combination of EP2 and LX5 - couldn't even tell you which are which without digging back to the exif.

Note - the landscape shots were supposed to be 1024 pixels wide, but they seem to have been squeezed down to nearly square in this post - if you want to see them the way they're supposed to show up, I think you have to click through to the Flickr image. Not sure why that's happening, but I'm also not sure how to fix it or if its fixable, so there you go.

-Ray

View attachment 30623

View attachment 30624

View attachment 30625

View attachment 30626

View attachment 30627

I know of Longwood Gardens, but I haven't been to visit. Right off the bat, I think the issue with the weird sizing may be the black border. I've checked your original on Flickr, I've looked at how you've posted them which is "correct" so I think there's something about that border that is throwing things off. It's too bad because it's a nice touch. However, this squashing does throw them off and most noticeably to me it is throwing off that vertical shot of the interior "Longwood Gardens 4" which in its "real" existence on Flickr (which we can all see if we click on it here) is, in my opinion, so much better the way you shot it due to perspective! It's also my favorite.:love: The exterior photos appear surreal - almost as though there is not a single sound or breath of air moving in those scenes. It's probably due to he lighting and your use of the black and white toning? I don't know but they do look good. Interestingly, according to Flickr those were taken with the LX5 and appear much more stretched out on Flickr and more "normal" on SC. Again, this is probably due to the borders and maybe you cropped them in a more custom format?

But enough about the differences between how they look here and there - they are all very "out of time" to me and I do like them very much. I encourage everyone to click on them to see them on Flickr too - especially on black, if you use that little magnifying glass icon.

I can't wait to see some winter photos from Longwood, Ray!

Fantastic images there!!!! REally nice. Looks like an interesting place to take the camera.
Thanks - indeed an interesting place. Too bad I'm not into taking macros of flowers because there are a LOT of flowers in that place! The topiary garden was closed for the winter (gets pretty mushy in there I guess) so I could only shoot from outside of it. Looking forward to being able to wander around among the weird vegetation next spring, hopefully to get some more interesting perspectives...

-Ray

I'd forgotten about this thread, but now that you brought it back to my attention, I'll add a handful from the other night, with the Longwood Holiday display still up. This is NOT the kind of shooting I almost ever do, but I got a tripod for the holidays and felt obligated to try it out. So here are some very low light/long exposure shots. The first one is a repeat from the "winter" thread.

-Ray

View attachment 31846

View attachment 31847

View attachment 31848

View attachment 31849

View attachment 33579

View attachment 31850

I've lived near the somewhat famous Longwood Gardens for nearly 20 years and have been there once or twice in that time. And for some reason, had never walked around the place with a camera. I'm not one for taking macro shots of pretty flowers (not interested and plenty of people do it well enough already!), but there's a lot there even without that type of thing. I think its gonna be a fun place to visit through all of the seasons. Here are a few recent shots. These are a combination of EP2 and LX5 - couldn't even tell you which are which without digging back to the exif.

Ray, thank you, those are fantastic shots! The first one is my favourite.

Wow, Ray, you may not like to carry around a tripod but these are great! I believe they were all taken with your E-P2, too. The fountain one makes me smile, very broadly.:D

Back