Advice Wanted Looking for a new Apple computer

First off, I use Apple computers, so any suggestions for a Windows box is unnecessary.
At the moment I use a late 2014 iMac 27 inch with 32 gb RAM, mainly for photo processing (Photoshop, DXO Photolab, NeoFinder, ...). This machine is showing its age mainly due to evolving software that needs more and more processing power.
Would like some suggestions for my next computer: Mac Studio with StudioDisplay? Wait for an M2 27 inch iMac (probably end 2023)? Other configuration?

I love my 2021 MacBook Pro 16". Battery last all day and it is super fast with all things photographic.
And my wife has been super impressed with her 2021 iMac (purple) if you prefer desktop.

Last edited:
I have a 2018 Mac Mini with 64GB RAM as shown below. The reason for the "Radeon Pro 580 8 GB" graphics is that I found the built-in graphics processing unit (GPU) to be a bit too slow and bought a Blackmagic eGPU (external GPU) and coupled it with a 27" LG UltraFine 5K display. It works beautifully.

As far as I know, that configuration is no longer available. If I were to replace now, I would look at a Mac Mini with:
  • Apple M1 chip with 8‑core CPU, 8‑core GPU and 16‑core Neural Engine
  • 16GB of unified memory
  • 2TB of SSD storage
The Mac Studio, although a very nicely configured and high performance machine, is way outside of my price range.

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 9.18.36 am.png

I swapped to a Macbook Pro M1 Max with 32GB RAM earlier this year. After 20+ years of Windows, it's been a revelation. Without doubt the best laptop I've ever had. If I was looking for a Desktop, I'd probably go Mac Mini M1 rather than iMac because I've got a nice UWA monitor that works well. But, the laptop works very well as a Desktop via a USB dock, so I don't really feel the need for a fixed device.

This past spring I bought the 14” MBP with a 1tb drive. I recently added a 27” Samsung ViewFinity S8 4K UHD IPS display for when I am using the MBP at home. I like having the portability but it also works great in clamshell mode. I bought a magic keyboard with the Touch ID so that is seamless as well. I thought about getting a studio but being able to grab the laptop for a trip or just sitting in the backyard is a nice option to have vs one that is desktop only. The nice thing about the display is it has a LAN input so I get access to a wired LAN as soon as I connect to the display with a TB cable.

I got the mac mini when it came out which was around $800 and upgraded the memory along with a new BenQ 27" monitor for another 6 or 700 and haven't had any complaints. I just use it for basic photography with lightroom and topaz plugins.

I have first gen M1 versions of the Mac Mini and MacBook Pro. Both are very nice to use, but as an only computer I’d go with the Mini. Mine is paired with a 42” 4K HP monitor because I like to watch my streaming services on it.

Back