Looking for a new camera system

I never really got the issue with Olympus menus. Unlike some other cameras that just throw everything into one menu, Olympus uses sub-menus to group like items (although they allow you to scroll from one sub-menu into the next anyway).

BTW, if you want an OLED touchscreen then your choice is limited to the E-M5.

I'm starting to full in love with the Fuji, the dynamic range looks great and so does the noise level... but no in body stabilization :(

*Sigh*. I feel your pain. There is a certain look to the Fuji images that are appealing... maybe just because they are different. The good news is that all of the newest APS-C sensors (except for Canon) have similar DR and image noise. The bad news is that most of those sensors are in DSLRs.

I should ask, is there a specific reason you want to go mirrorless?

Yes, the weight of the equipment is the main reason I want to switch to mirrorless. I do lots of landscape and climbing up mountains isn't the most interesting with a heavy backpack. And I love smaller cameras they just look so good (kind of stupid I know).

I'll look into the EPL5, it could be nice to have and I could get more lens for the money I want... I have to think about that.

I have download RAW files from the OMD and the E1 and I love the one from the E1, just amazing. The dynamic range of the E1 is just amazing vs the OMD, doing lots of landscape it does matter.

I'm starting to full in love with the Fuji, the dynamic range looks great and so does the noise level... but no in body stabilization :(

Just to throw something else into the mix, the Fuji raw files are, how do I say this politely?, subject to a lot more inconsistency in terms of how the various raw developers handle them. That's not an issue with m4/3 raw files.

Another factor is lens availability. The m4/3 lens range really benefits from both more time on the market and the presence of two manufacturers. There is a lot to choose from - far more than currently available for the Fuji X system.

I got several RAW files and Lightroom 5 worked with them pretty well, that was my point of getting the RAW files.
It's possible that the OMD RAW files where not from the final release of the camera.

Les wise, I'm looking ti get 2 good zoom, the rest can be manual lens, so I should be fine.

I've used both the XE-1 and the OM-D (extensively) and I think the files from the Fuji have a clear edge. The Fuji 14mm is an excellent landscape lens though rather pricey for those hikes in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. The 18-55mm Fuji lens runs circles around the 12-50mm for IQ...it's definitely noticeable. For myself, I've actually decided the IQ difference isn't that big of a deal though and have sold my Fuji gear for an EOS M w/11-22mm--good enough for landscapes and use a Panasonic G5 for nature photography with adapted lenses...no BIF.

I think you'll find the 18-55mm and 55-200mm are better than their m43 equivalents and the 18-55mm is as good as the 12-35mm Panasonic lens. I haven't used the Panasonic 35-100mm.

have you been shooting RAW or JPEG? I will shoot RAW 99-100% of the time.
I'm interested to find out more about the dynamic range between the OMD and EX1. It seems like EX1 is way better than the OMD, though I haven't found any good review that compare both.

OK, thank you for that.
does anyone who wouldn't mind sharing a RAW file from the OMD or even EPL5 in low light condition or having lost of shadows? I'm sure the one I got came from a pre-production model.

Yael,

I cycle through systems fairly quickly and like trying different things out. I resell a fair bit of stuff and come into contact with a lot of different equipment. The XE-1 has a good user interface and physical controls but I like the feel of the G5 better in my hands...I also think the grip is better on the OM-D than the XE-1.

Finally, I'm trying to force myself into a decision about how good is good enough. For my needs the G5 is just fine as I don't print any bigger than 20x30 inches and ISO 1600 is my usual limit.

Mike

Thanks to Everhandy, I'm looking at the EPL5 now which seems to get pictures as good as the OMD, the only thing missing is the EVF, better stabilization, and weatherproof. IF I went with the EPL5, what lens should I buy to get something good. I would need a walk around zoom lens and a telephoto.

The XE-1 is still an option for me but I don't want keep looking at the m4/3 simply due to all the possibilities that format brings.

I liked the quasi macro function of the 12-50, though it's not as sharp as the 14-45.
Once I get my money, which I hope in a month time frame, I'll try to buy equipment from this forum or the one dedicated to the m4/3. Except if I go Fuji,

Back