Looking for a new home

SynJohn

Name
John
I am following some other folks from POTN which has been a long time watering hole for me and will miss it. A lot of good responses from others on this site and looking forward to being part of a new family.
I am living in the Pacific Northwest east of Seattle and have since moving here from Okinawa in the late 70s. Also an Olympus shooter and loving the weather proofing on their systems living up here in the rain belt.

Thanks for having us with open arms

I am following some other folks from POTN which has been a long time watering hole for me and will miss it. A lot of good responses from others on this site and looking forward to being part of a new family.
I am living in the Pacific Northwest east of Seattle and have since moving here from Okinawa in the late 70s. Also an Olympus shooter and loving the weather proofing on their systems living up here in the rain belt.

Thanks for having us with open arms
Hey, John!
I am also from POTN. Same username. Heartbreaking news that we will not only lose our forum, but also all of the archives there. Hopefully this new-to-us forum, Cameraderie, will help to fill the aching void a bit. Seems like a happy place with good folks.

Hey, John!
I am also from POTN. Same username. Heartbreaking news that we will not only lose our forum, but also all of the archives there. Hopefully this new-to-us forum, Cameraderie, will help to fill the aching void a bit. Seems like a happy place with good folks.
Thanks for that insight, Tom. We'll try to be accommodating - let's just try take it as easy as possible with the situation; mutual patience will be the order of the day.

We've had a few less-than-ideal experiences before with people from other places - but what I've witnessed so far from POTN members is very encouraging. I hope we can help you out and help you fit in at the same time. This is Cameraderie - the pun is doubly intended.

M.

Hello!

My real name is the same as my username - Tom Reichner

I am coming as a longtime member of the forum, POTN, which will be shutting down in a few months. I hope that Cameraderie can help to fill a little of the hole that will be left from POTN's closing.

I am obsessed with wildlife photography. That's really what my whole life is about and what means more to me than anything.

I only photograph animals that are living in the wild - nothing in zoos or captive situations.

I love critters big and small - Deer, Bighorn Sheep, Ducks, Warblers, Toads, Lizards, Snakes, Turtles, Crabs, Grouse, Herons, Elk, Moose ..... pretty much anything that is native to North America and bigger than a grasshopper!

I was born and raised in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania suburbs, but moved all the way out to Okanogan, in Washington state, in 2007. I drive back to PA frequently to visit my folks, and I love road-tripping back and forth across the United States and detouring way out of the way to search for wildlife in many different areas.

I am 55 years old, seasonally/partially employed, single, and free to roam about during most of the year.

I welcome the opportunity to get to know forum members and meet in real life to shoot together, if anyone is interested in that. I have become real-life friends with a good number of folks at the POTN forum, and hope that that same dynamic can continue over here at Cameraderie.

Welcome John and Tom! I can imagine the sense of loss about POTN, I'd be beyond gutted if Cameraderie were ever to shut down. Hope you'll feel at home here. Looking forward to seeing some of your PNW / wildlife shots!

Welcome John and Tom! I can imagine the sense of loss about POTN, I'd be beyond gutted if Cameraderie were ever to shut down. Hope you'll feel at home here. Looking forward to seeing some of your PNW / wildlife shots!
Thank you Bart! I've been very active at POTN since 2008. The loss is very heavy. Hopefully no one ever closes Cameradirie down the way POTN is being shut down, with no archives and no "read only" option. Just years and years of our hearts and souls being deleted. I am hoping that Cameraderie lessens the sense of loss at least a little bit.

Thank you Bart! I've been very active at POTN since 2008. The loss is very heavy. Hopefully no one ever closes Cameradirie down the way POTN is being shut down, with no archives and no "read only" option. Just years and years of our hearts and souls being deleted. I am hoping that Cameraderie lessens the sense of loss at least a little bit.
As long as you can take us as you find us, I'm sure we'll get along fine! Many of you have been off to a smooth or even a great start here.

It's important to consider though that most of us regulars have known each other for a long, sometimes a very long time and thus know how to deal with most idiosyncarsies you as new members may encounter for the first time and find strange or even offending - so, if in doubt, ask how you're meant to take something (or seek help from a moderator). In obvious cases of rudeness or lines being crossed, you can also use the "Report" button - we'll be in touch and try to mend or correct things in such a case.

Mutual respect is something we value very highly on this forum.

M.

Nice, good to find this thread with some of the POTN regulars introducing themselves! I figured I’ll do it too.

My name is Sam. I go by Scrumhalf on POTN and West Coast Birder on a bunch of other places. I’m an engineer by profession (the computer hardware kind, not the locomotive driver kind :)), 56 yo and hopefully a year or two from retirement, from IL but have lived on the West Coast for 35 years and currently splitting time between Portland OR and Santa Barbara CA.

I love being outdoors and birding and, as my username indicates, taking (mediocre) photographs of our feathered friends.

Good to be here and looking forward to learning and contributing.

Nice, good to find this thread with some of the POTN regulars introducing themselves! I figured I’ll do it too.

My name is Sam. I go by Scrumhalf on POTN and West Coast Birder on a bunch of other places. I’m an engineer by profession (the computer hardware kind, not the locomotive driver kind :)), 56 yo and hopefully a year or two from retirement, from IL but have lived on the West Coast for 35 years and currently splitting time between Portland OR and Santa Barbara CA.

I love being outdoors and birding and, as my username indicates, taking (mediocre) photographs of our feathered friends.

Good to be here and looking forward to learning and contributing.
Good to see you here Scrum, I like your work.

Back