Bags Looking for a semi-ginormous backpack

Case closed! (seewhatIdidthere?)

Ended up with a PD Everyday Backpack 30L, thanks @Carbonman! It allows me to have both cameras with their respective lenses mounted accessible from the same flap, and still have enough room for the other lenses with leftover space for a light poncho, snack, etc. I could actually still get a couple more lenses in if I wanted to, or the 500/8 AF. I like the fact that the waist belt is optional as I don't need one for this use. The sternum strap can be stored on one of the shoulder straps, again, I won't need it. The shoulder straps are compact and have magnets to hold them snug against the bag so they're out of the way when carrying by the handles. It's a lot thinner in use, especially with the straps as described. And it's about 2-1/2lbs. lighter. Drawback is it's expensive. I'm pretty sure I own a 51% share of Peak Design at this point...

Case closed! (seewhatIdidthere?)

Ended up with a PD Everyday Backpack 30L, thanks @Carbonman! It allows me to have both cameras with their respective lenses mounted accessible from the same flap, and still have enough room for the other lenses with leftover space for a light poncho, snack, etc. I could actually still get a couple more lenses in if I wanted to, or the 500/8 AF. I like the fact that the waist belt is optional as I don't need one for this use. The sternum strap can be stored on one of the shoulder straps, again, I won't need it. The shoulder straps are compact and have magnets to hold them snug against the bag so they're out of the way when carrying by the handles. It's a lot thinner in use, especially with the straps as described. And it's about 2-1/2lbs. lighter. Drawback is it's expensive. I'm pretty sure I own a 51% share of Peak Design at this point...
And I was just about to get around measuring my bag for you 🙄

Well, back to square one. The PD is going back. No matter what I do, the 80-200/2.8 won't stay put. I've tried adding a strap, another divider, etc., but there aren't any places to anchor velcro that far up in the bag. It falls out of the compartment every time I lay the bag on its side. If I could figure that part out, I'd keep it. Not going to pay $300 for something that won't do exactly what I want. :(

Sooooo, @MountainMan79 et al, if you're still of a mind, I'd appreciate the measurements.
Your wish is my command. So it’s about 13x13x5.5 on the inside, with a little stretch or flex in any given dimension. If you remove the bag at the top (velcro’d on) it’ll buy you an additional 4” and be 17x13x5.5. I’ve put the extra red dividers in and tuck straps or teleconverters into them.
990C7506-7084-480E-80A7-2BDC1FFE2A44.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

C00B8687-E042-4C31-B17A-638A4D6193A5.jpeg

734D3F42-F525-4E43-A203-00A486210A26.jpeg

Attachments

• E01D5DC8-0698-4C61-BBC7-58F98FAF4A01.jpeg
    E01D5DC8-0698-4C61-BBC7-58F98FAF4A01.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 82
That looks really close. Depth is good. I suppose if I pulled the trinket bag I could get one body top down which need about 11-1/2 or 12", and the second body across the bottom. Only question is could I get the 80-200 parallel to the 100-400, they're both pretty wide with the hoods inverted.

Thank you. I have some thinking to do. The only thing I dislike about the PD (besides the price) is that one issue. It's irritating as hell, but I think I am going to end up making a concession no matter what. Cost, weight, extra storage, bulky straps, etc. I guess I need to figure out which is more critical.

That looks really close. Depth is good. I suppose if I pulled the trinket bag I could get one body top down which need about 11-1/2 or 12", and the second body across the bottom. Only question is could I get the 80-200 parallel to the 100-400, they're both pretty wide with the hoods inverted.

Thank you. I have some thinking to do. The only thing I dislike about the PD (besides the price) is that one issue. It's irritating as hell, but I think I am going to end up making a concession no matter what. Cost, weight, extra storage, bulky straps, etc. I guess I need to figure out which is more critical.
Well for only about $90, there’s a bit less capital tied up to give it a try. I’ve consistently been impressed with how much I can cram in this bag.

Hi @Brownie, you might consider the Thinktank Urban Access backpack. I got an Urban Access 13 backpack because I thought it would be usable as a travel camera backpack, but while it would hold a ton of camera gear (more than I needed for my M43 gear), it was too big to be a personal item bag. However, the 13 or it's bigger 15 brother might suit your purpose. It has side and back access, and it has very flexible configuration. Here's an album showing the Urban Access 13 if you want to see the setup. https://www.flickr.com/gp/92624968@N02/cRu9tz
Although I didn't keep it (sold it to a friend) I liked the quality, materials, and design, and it was comfortable to wear.

Specifications are available on the Thinktankphoto website. Urban Access™ Backpack

Last edited:
I've been somewhat unsatisfied with the Urban Access 13. It has a beautiful slim profile but it doesn't have a lot of pockets for nonphotography gear. Also not the comfiest bag on my back.

I've been eyeing the Retrospective backpack instead, wishing there was a bigger variant.

The problem I have is that most bags have cells that are fine for SLR lenses. But the petite lenses for my Leica? That's hard to find a bag that can hold them while not priced like a Leica! The backpack I linked above is perfect for my Nikon. I'd love to find one that can hold my 15.6" laptop and 21, 35, second 50, 90 lenses and body when I'm not using it. Too big, too small, too expensive but no goldilocks bag that's just right.

I guess I never reported back the end result. Eventually decided on the Peak Design EDC 30L bag. It has room for both the A7 IV and A7R-III with lenses mounted, one with the 100-400 and the other with a 24-105. There's room for the Tamron 17-28 and Minolta 80-200/2.8 with the A to E adapter mounted. Pockets for all accessories like batteries, caps, cleaning stuff, straps, but also a small pair of binoculars, an umbrella, water bottle, compact poncho, snack/sandwich, even a spare pair of socks!

One issue I had with my old pack was bulk. This bag is extremely compact and relatively light, 2-1/2 lbs. lighter than the old one. But what really makes it work for me is the ability to remove the sternum strap and waist strap if I don't need them that day. The shoulder straps are magnetically held to the pack to keep things neat and tidy. It that configuration it acts more like a tall bag, and there are grab handles on three sides. At the track I had both cameras out and when I wanted to relocate I just carried it back and forth with the handles.

Yeah, it was expensive. $300 is more than I planned to spend by double. But then the cost of the gear I mentioned is in the $8k range. I didn't want to worry about a handle ripping off while carrying it or walking around with it on my back and a zipper taking a dump. The cost represents 0.038 percent of the cost of my gear, not very expensive for the given level of confidence.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and input. It gave me an awful lot of packs to look at, and the decision was much more informed than my last attempt.

The problem I have is that most bags have cells that are fine for SLR lenses. But the petite lenses for my Leica? That's hard to find a bag that can hold them while not priced like a Leica! The backpack I linked above is perfect for my Nikon. I'd love to find one that can hold my 15.6" laptop and 21, 35, second 50, 90 lenses and body when I'm not using it. Too big, too small, too expensive but no goldilocks bag that's just right.
The same problem. Even the old Nikkors are too small for most modern backpacks.

I've considered this problem for a year now and only last week ordered some lens sleeves/pouches from Aliexpress to see if they hold answers to this question.

There's no doubt that searching for the perfect way to carry your gear involves research, but also compromises. There are still things I'd change about this backpack if I could, mostly at the top, but it's as close as I'm going to get.

Back