Sigma Looking for a starting point

Same settings Same viewpoint Same Day Same Subject

Please

Sorry for the double post, I saw I forgot to quote the original post

I assume same viewpoint means a scene framed in identical way, or did you mean shooting from the same point? The last would mean the fuji frame would contain more because of the larger field of view.
So far I have compared the DP2M with an Olympus E-P5 and kit lens and the results are of course very different: beside the obvious advantage in sharpness, the Sigma has clarity and detail rendition that is very natural, it reminds me of the old film days when comparing medium format with 35mm

It will take me some time to do the comparison, let me give you in the meantime an idea of the results, since I use both the Oly and the Fuji and I already compared the Oly with the X100s, shooting in RAW with tripod, at each aperture from f/2 to f/8 in 1/3 stop steps and then processed in C1.
Surprisingly the Fuji has very little advantage in rendering fine detail like foliage and grass, while it has a bit better dynamic range and its less noisy and clearer output provides with a smoother and less processed look than the Oly.
Thus, when compared to the Sigma, I expect the Fujifilm RAW files to look similar to the ones coming from the Oly

My two camera arrived today and I thought I might want to try to figure out how they work prior to NEEDING to know how they work. My people don't read manuals.
The learning curve wasn't bad. I know enough to take a picture. I did figure out the exposure compensation after pushing buttons for awhile.
Here are my first two pictures with the camera. Opened in SPP and saved as a 16bit tiff and then processed through LR. I know I have much to learn but I'm encouraged.
Both pictures shot with the DP3M. I need to go check the DP1M now.

i-swppH7c-X3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-KQgBZ5p-X3.jpg

Thanks but This is all too complicated
I just meant using the same settings sticking them on a tripod & taking a shot SOOC - of the same scene

Low iso preferred but would be interesting to compare low to high as well

Cheers

Sorry for the double post, I saw I forgot to quote the original post

I assume same viewpoint means a scene framed in identical way, or did you mean shooting from the same point? The last would mean the fuji frame would contain more because of the larger field of view.
So far I have compared the DP2M with an Olympus E-P5 and kit lens and the results are of course very different: beside the obvious advantage in sharpness, the Sigma has clarity and detail rendition that is very natural, it reminds me of the old film days when comparing medium format with 35mm

It will take me some time to do the comparison, let me give you in the meantime an idea of the results, since I use both the Oly and the Fuji and I already compared the Oly with the X100s, shooting in RAW with tripod, at each aperture from f/2 to f/8 in 1/3 stop steps and then processed in C1.
Surprisingly the Fuji has very little advantage in rendering fine detail like foliage and grass, while it has a bit better dynamic range and its less noisy and clearer output provides with a smoother and less processed look than the Oly.
Thus, when compared to the Sigma, I expect the Fujifilm RAW files to look similar to the ones coming from the Oly

I'll do that as soon as I can get a decent day. Today was a learning day on the Sigma cameras. What I'll do is set up a shot using the 18mm Fuji and compare it with the Sigma DP1M as they both have 28mm equivalent lenses. I'll compare them at low asa and post the pictures. The Sigma cameras don't do well at asa's above 400 so that would be pretty much a wasted effort to do.

Thanks but This is all too complicated
I just meant using the same settings sticking them on a tripod & taking a shot SOOC - of the same scene

Low iso preferred but would be interesting to compare low to high as well

Cheers

I was curious so I set up a shot. Here's what I did. The first shot is the Fuji X Pro 1 camera with the 18mm f2 lens. ASA 200 F8 on Aperture priority with a shutter speed of 1.6 seconds. Everything set neutral. The first picture is 25% and the second is 100%
i-M4QhfW6-L.jpg

i-Th8pgvb-L.jpg

These shots are with the Sigma DP1M which has a 28mm lens. The settings were exactly the same as on the Fuji. The shutter speed remained the same.
i-K6LrcPw-L.jpg

i-95BPKwn-L.jpg

I'm seeing a significant difference in resolution on the jpegs. The Sigma raw file should have even greater resolution than the Fuji RAF file.

Thanks very much - just what I needed - I think maybe a little exposure compensation on the Fuji might even things out

Thanks very much - just what I needed - I think maybe a little exposure compensation on the Fuji might even things out

I agree. I think the exposure system in the Fuji may be a little more advanced than the one in the Sigma. The Fuji files don't have the same resolution but I wouldn't expect them to.
They really are for two different applications. When I was shooting mostly 4X5 my lens selection was 90/150/210. If you get all three of the Fuji cameras you're getting close to those ranges and getting pretty good files from them.

Back