Looking for cheap light setup for mushrooms.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Hall of Famer
Name
Ovi
Hello, now that autumn is here the mushrooms are starting to spring up and I would like to photograph the. Though I don't have a proper 1:2 or 1:1 macro lens I do have the Tamron zooms that can get very close. But being zoom lenses they do have a very long and large shape to them that will block a lot of light.
I would like to try, for the first time, to do more creative light setups for medium to tiny mushrooms, something that is portable and cheap to work with. I do wonder if a GorillaPod style mini tripod would help or would be necessary (I'm not much of a tripod person).

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated (if they are links could they be UK sellers based please)

Ovi and Martin, I have learned a lot from Micael Widell on YouTube. Most of his images are of insects, but the same set up can be used for fungi etc of course.
I don't have a macro lens, it is not essential. I use the Fujifilm 18-55 zoom or their 35mm f2 lens, with a Minolta number 1 close up lens with the appropriate step up/step down ring. Or you could use a 10mm extension tube instead. I use the same flash and Dorr flash diffuser as Micael successfully. A sample taken with this set up is below. I'm not suggesting that they are fantastic, but they will give you an idea of what can be easily achieved. I will be more than happy to answer any questions!

See Micael's YouTube video titled: 7 Foolproof Steps for a Perfect Macro Photo. A lot of good info there.
7AAD8D72-EFE1-4E6D-8874-1E2D7F003272.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
25176286-238F-45D9-BD99-C75FA50FBF0D.jpeg
D11EFD98-2158-4A5A-BE79-AF4675607D30.jpeg

Back