Advice Wanted Looking for the most compact IBIS equipped ILC camera?

Jonathan F/2

All-Pro
Name
Jonathan
If anyone has checked out the "bicycle" thread, cycling has pretty much been my main focus within the past year! Normally I bring my Nikon 1 J5 + 10mm f/2.8 camera setup with me in a small fanny pack and it's perfect for daytime conditions where the BSI 20.8mp sensor really shines with it's rich DR and Nikon image processing. It's biggest weakness though is in low light conditions, where I end up switching to the 10-30mm PD VR lens just to get the stabilization. Unfortunately, with a slow f/3.5 aperture it just doesn't work as well as I'd like at nighttime.

Now I want a camera specifically for night shots with rock solid IBIS paired with a compact/fast single prime. Some options I'm considering is something like an E-PM/PLx series camera or maybe the E-P5, though I'm open to other cameras to fulfill this niche. It needs to be small enough to fit in a regular sized fanny/hip pack and an EVF won't be necessary. Also the cheaper the better, mainly because I don't want to cry if I drop it on a ride! :D Thanks!

Did you miss this? Special new price available!

The EM5 Mark II is also quite small, with better IBIS than the EPL models, but if you don't need an EVF and don't want to fiddle with the viewfinder hump, then the recent EPL series are probably your best bet. Stick the 20/1.7, 14/2.5 or 17/2.8, or even the (slower aperture) 12-32/3.5-5.6 and you're good to go.

Before I saw that last sentence, I was going to recommend the Pentax Q. I had a Q7 for a little bit and I would still have that little thing if they could have figured out an EVF solution for it. The little lenses for it are f/1.8 primes and the zooms can be found starting at f/2.8

I did a review of the camera and a bunch of the lenses here:

To get the most out of that camera - shoot in RAW and process that in Lightroom/CaptureOne/etc. The SOOC JPG gave me a cellphone feeling...but processing the RAW files was much more satisfying.

Outside of that I think the smallest you can get with a sensor bigger than the Q is the Olympus EPM2. It has the 16mp sensor which is much better than the 12mp from the older generation m43 cameras. It does have the port to accept the add on EVF, of which I would recommend the VF-4 (had the VF-3 and it did the job, but low res and color/contrast are not true to the scene). The EP5 is a nice camera, very nice in fact, but may be bigger than you want. Certainly not EPM-2 size.

My review of that EP5 here:

Did you miss this? Special new price available!
Which IBIS does the EPL7 have?

The EM5 Mark II is also quite small, with better IBIS than the EPL models, but if you don't need an EVF and don't want to fiddle with the viewfinder hump, then the recent EPL series are probably your best bet. Stick the 20/1.7, 14/2.5 or 17/2.8, or even the (slower aperture) 12-32/3.5-5.6 and you're good to go.
The EM5II was rock solid when I owned it. I actually thought it was a better functioning camera versus the Pen-F. Was there any other Olympus body that had the same EM5II guts (sensor/IBIS/features)?

The EM5II was rock solid when I owned it. I actually thought it was a better functioning camera versus the Pen-F. Was there any other Olympus body that had the same EM5II guts (sensor/IBIS/features)?
I own one now, for the first time in 2021, even though it's, what, a 2015 camera? Really like it. Honestly I feel like the Panasonic GX85 might be a slightly better overall package for many people. It's a tad simpler, still very good, and a bit easier to get in and out of a pocket. But the colors are definitely a bit better in the JPEGs with the EM5II, and the IBIS is better, and the EVF is better. It's just a little more complicated, both in body design and features/UI. Both pinnacles of late-stage 16MP M4/3 sensors, in my opinion.

I own one now, for the first time in 2021, even though it's, what, a 2015 camera? Really like it. Honestly I feel like the Panasonic GX85 might be a slightly better overall package for many people. It's a tad simpler, still very good, and a bit easier to get in and out of a pocket. But the colors are definitely a bit better in the JPEGs with the EM5II, and the IBIS is better, and the EVF is better. It's just a little more complicated, both in body design and features/UI. Both pinnacles of late-stage 16MP M4/3 sensors, in my opinion.
I'm worried I might go down the rabbit hole of M43...again! Lol

I'm pretty satisfied with my Nikon 1 J5, it takes amazing photos in most lighting conditions and it's very compact. The only weakness is in extremely low light where IBIS equipped cameras really shine. VR/IS lenses just don't have the same stabilization advantages, especially when I want to keep ISO down. I also have my Sony A7III/A9 bodies, but I just don't like hauling them around when cycling because I want to stay as light weight as possible.

I'm worried I might go down the rabbit hole of M43...again! Lol

I'm pretty satisfied with my Nikon 1 J5, it takes amazing photos in most lighting conditions and it's very compact. The only weakness is in extremely low light where IBIS equipped cameras really shine. VR/IS lenses just don't have the same stabilization advantages, especially when I want to keep ISO down. I also have my Sony A7III/A9 bodies, but I just don't like hauling them around when cycling because I want to stay as light weight as possible.
I already posted this in the "Cars I can't Afford" thread, but, this is the reason I love M4/3. Okay, one of the reasons. F1.7, 1/4 sec, ISO 200, and considerably lightened in post. It was nighttime with only a few street lights around.

P9100033.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Before I saw that last sentence, I was going to recommend the Pentax Q. I had a Q7 for a little bit and I would still have that little thing if they could have figured out an EVF solution for it. The little lenses for it are f/1.8 primes and the zooms can be found starting at f/2.8

I did a review of the camera and a bunch of the lenses here:

To get the most out of that camera - shoot in RAW and process that in Lightroom/CaptureOne/etc. The SOOC JPG gave me a cellphone feeling...but processing the RAW files was much more satisfying.

Outside of that I think the smallest you can get with a sensor bigger than the Q is the Olympus EPM2. It has the 16mp sensor which is much better than the 12mp from the older generation m43 cameras. It does have the port to accept the add on EVF, of which I would recommend the VF-4 (had the VF-3 and it did the job, but low res and color/contrast are not true to the scene). The EP5 is a nice camera, very nice in fact, but may be bigger than you want. Certainly not EPM-2 size.

My review of that EP5 here:
Another vote for the Pentax Q, specifically the Q7 or Q-S1 with the 1/1.7 sensor. I've owned Nikon 1 as well (V1 and now J5) and the Q7 when shot in RAW is nearly its equal. I have had to convert ISO 3200 to BW in order to get usable images. Feel free to check out some here: Q-Folio

I also have a GX85 and the Q7 is much much smaller and lighter.

While I enjoyed the EPM2, it had "less than rock solid" IBIS. If IBIS is important, I'd go with the later Olympus models. (I'm not that knowledgeable about Panasonic.). I still have my E-PL7, which had the 3 axis stabilization. I've used a bunch of the 5 axis Oly bodies and I could never tell the difference from the E-PL7. It's a very nice small body.

Actually I'm having a change of heart and I'm thinking of getting an action camera instead. Trying to decide between a GoPro and DJI Osmo, though I'm open to other suggestions. Most likely will be chest or bike mounted!

Actually I'm having a change of heart and I'm thinking of getting an action camera instead. Trying to decide between a GoPro and DJI Osmo, though I'm open to other suggestions. Most likely will be chest or bike mounted!
Are you still looking for night stills? If so, the action cameras I have (Insta360 One R 1", Insta360 One X2, DJI Pocket 2) aren't really suited to the task. And all are much more oriented towards video, not stills.

But as video devices, they're pretty special. Stabilization is mind-bendingly good.

The One X2 plus a selfie stick, in particular, is well-suited to capturing fun video of a bicycle ride and other outdoor activities. It shoots in 5.6k, which helps with reframing footage for regular playback

You can also upload 360 footage to YouTube

Wonder if the little sabilised gimbal rigs you can get for these will cope with bike motion?
Things like the DJI Pocket 2 look pretty great.
My buddy mounts his GoPro Hero 8 to the front of his bike stem and video motion holds up pretty well. I partially want to record my ride adventures and also have a camera for safety issues. I'm probably leaning more towards a chest mount since my bike cockpit is already messy with phone holder, GPS and external light.

Back