Fuji Losing My Grip

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Name
Kyle
After all this time with the beloved XT1, the rubber material is beginning to come up around the grip. The ends are still attached so it doesn't flop, but the material covering the front "hump" has bulged up a bit and can be seen under along the bottom edge. You can feel the space under it as you hold it. I can't really complain, given the tens of thousands of shots it's been through. I don't think I've ever gone more than 2 days without shooting a picture, and I wind up with several hundred a month that are kept for various purposes. So it's been worked, and worked pretty hard.

I see that Cameraleather.com has an X-Pro 1 recovering kit, but sadly doesn't list an XT1 (or any other Fuji).

Does anyone know of a way to get new material? I'd pimp this thing out with tan leather in a hot second if I could find a source.

This seems to be a pretty common occurrence. I have a feeling that this may be a quality issue that should be covered by warranty.

No kidding? I've never had to go down that route. I usually balk at the idea of not having my camera for a week+. When the X100's internal blackout curtain in the EVF sometimes wouldn't pop up all the way, I never bothered to send it in. It just ... stopped. I couldn't live without it. I don't know what I'd do without the XT for longer than a day or two.

Maybe you should buy another one (just to have as a back-up).

*heads off to photograph X-T1 and prepare classified listing*

I'm torn on this. I'd love to have a second X body of some sort, both to avoid lens changes in the field, and to have redundancy. Also to loan to the Mrs when she goes somewhere without me. Just not sure which, or when. She's much more of an Auto shooter... she knows enough to make sure the dials are all set properly, but she's not even really adjusting the EV Comp to my knowledge. She probably wouldn't understand / support the $ of a second body. I really need to be earning money with these things before I can make that case, and I don't spend that kind of dough without agreement. So I bog down at that point and stop pursuing the idea... Need to get paid for photos first, then I can worry about the "nice to haves." But a second XT1 would probably be ideal, given my quibbles with the XE2.

- Playback mode tied to shooting mode, meaning you can't shoot "EVF+Sensor" and hit the Playback button to review a shot on the LCD without changing the mode.
- Needs better grip (fixable)
- Slower / inconsistent startup time for me. Never started up as quickly as the XT1, and neither were on Quick Startup Mode. Sometimes it would make me wait almost 2 seconds before lighting up the EVF when it was already on EVF mode to begin with at startup... you flick the switch and wait, wait, wait, THEN it comes on.
- No Classic Chrome, which sucks for a jpg shooter who's got good presets built for CC in post.

I think that's it. I loved shooting with it, overall, but these are enough to make me think XT-10, or another used XT1, or just "whatever comes around next year."

I should also say that I'd happily grab up a used black XE2 right now for like $400 (body only of course) if I happened upon one. With a thumb rest grip on it, maybe a leather half case too, I'd make do.

Interesting... Thank you. The only thing out of that lot that would bother me is the erratic start up time. Every Fuji I have (or have had) I fit a grip to anyway since I have bear paws ;)

Back