Loupedeck

Just goes to show that you always have to be open for new ways of doing things... When you originally posted this, Luke, I thought "ah, just another Kickstarter gadget... "
I'm still not sure how good the Loupedeck is going to be... but the release of Capture One 10 and it's support for Tangent Color Grading Control Panels kind of opened my eyes.

I was trying to find reasons for or against upgrading to C1 v10 (featurewise it's more of a point-release) and looked at the grading panel support...
Tangent has an app that emulates a 3-way-controller on a tablet (Element-Vs - Tangent ) and when I played with the demo of that and the demo of C1 v10 I realized, how intuitive this is...
Now a Tangent Ripple (Ripple - Tangent) might be on my wishlist for Christmas... :-D Or maybe I'll stick to the app first :)

Pretty interesting. Part of me thinks if this was around even 2 years ago, when I was way more actively involved in photography day to day than I am today, I'd have jumped on this. OTOH, I only did and do pretty basic editing in Lightroom - it's mostly just my raw processor and I then export to one of the Nik plug-ins to do most of the edits. Assuming this deck only works with the Lightroom controls and not those of various other programs and plug-ins, it wouldn't have much utility for me. But it's a cool idea and will be interesting to see where it goes...

-Ray

Yes, being limited to Lightroom makes Loupedeck pretty useless for me too. (Also it remains to be seen how much fine control the knobs and sliders actually allow.)

Much more interesting in my opinion are control panels with three trackballs (like the Tangent ones), as they allow two dimensions of control at the same time (vs just one dimension of a slider)
Using the three trackballs for color balance with a hue wheel in shadows/midtones/highlights is where it gets interesting...

Back