Fuji Loving the 14,Hating the cold

Missing Boston and the snow even more. I used to take the train to NY all the time to go Smalls, Village Vanguard, and the Knitting Factory. I lived off those hot dog carts when I would go.

Thanks. I plan on getting the complete collection Nik package. But haven't decided whether to get Lightroom or Aperture.

Damn, I'm loving these Bob. I may have to hang onto the lens a little longer and really give it a chance, particularly in the city. Maybe take it into Philly on Wednesday and see what I can do...

-Ray

Ray , I would give it some more time, it is a fun lens to shoot with. Love the focal length, the 18 may be sitting a lot. I played with the focus lock out ring to set the depth, worked great just like the Olympus 12. Only negative so far is this lens being this wide you can flare it

My first impression is that its a little wide for street work, but you're doing just fine with it, albeit in a bit different style than I usually go for, so not sure how well it'll work for me. But one thing that REALLY intrigues me about it is that a lens this wide has such an overwhelming amount of DOF, that zone focus should be quite doable even wide open at f2.8, which opens up some really cool low light street possibilities. Is that how you were shooting these night shots?

-Ray

Actually these were on AF but the stuff I am working on right now were shot with zone focus. The only problem for me with zone focus is sometimes I get lazy on what the exp is doing and since I do not use Auto ISO I need to be more careful. Because the lens is wide but also very good it allows me to crop when I get home.

Actually these were on AF but the stuff I am working on right now were shot with zone focus. The only problem for me with zone focus is sometimes I get lazy on what the exp is doing and since I do not use Auto ISO I need to be more careful. Because the lens is wide but also very good it allows me to crop when I get home.
I generally don't use auto ISO for street/zone stuff - I keep an eye on shutter speeds and keep ISO as high as needed and then just work the exposure dial as I move in and out of shadows, toward and away from the sun, etc. Then for non-street work I tend to use both auto-ISO and auto focus.

-Ray

Damn, I'm loving these Bob. I may have to hang onto the lens a little longer and really give it a chance, particularly in the city. Maybe take it into Philly on Wednesday and see what I can do...

-Ray

I was checking out your photos on Flickr and meant to write to you and ask you why you didn't want to keep it. I definitely lust after this lens...and, of course, a camera to go with it.

I generally don't use auto ISO for street/zone stuff - I keep an eye on shutter speeds and keep ISO as high as needed and then just work the exposure dial as I move in and out of shadows, toward and away from the sun, etc. Then for non-street work I tend to use both auto-ISO and auto focus.

-Ray
Anyway this lens is just what I had been waiting for, I used to use the 21 on the Contax G2 years ago shooting Trix at 1600 ISO for street stuff all the time, it was my favorite when shooting film. Funny thing is back then the viewfinder would not show more than a 28mm lens field of view or one could use the separate viewfinder, so in way I am back where I was back then except not using film

Back