Fuji Loving the X10 again...

Ray, I see your X10 is up for sale. I have to ask: What is replacing it? Did the Sony grow on you?

No, the Sony did the opposite of grow on me - i seemed to like that camera less and less the more I used it, despite its fine sensor. What grew on me was the LX7 at $299. The LX7 isn't as good in low light and doesn't have the DR chops that the X10 has, but after the new camera smell wears off, I find I don't push my compacts that hard anyway. Really challenging situations always bring out the X-Pro or OMD, so it's not really a problem to have a camera that doesn't do quite everything well. And in terms of pure shooting enjoyment, I've never enjoyed any compact near as much as the LX5 or LX7 when I tried one previously. At similar prices it was hard to justify a notably less capable camera, but at that price the LX7 was just impossible to resist. I already came within a few bucks of paying for it with the GRD3 sale - whatever I get for the X-10 will be gravy.

I really like the X10 - as I've said a number of times, it hits a lot of sweet spots. But I get a bit tired of thinking about what the EXR is doing and how to best approach some situations with it. The LX7 is a lot more straight forward, if somewhat more limited. But I tell you, in half decent light at about f4, the LX7 turns out some awfully nice images. It's just a really well executed camera with strengths and weaknesses and trade offs I'm very comfortable with.

-Ray

I can see your point about not pushing compacts that hard Ray. The X10 is a great choice if it is your only camera, but when used in conjunction with a very capable option (or 2) some other factors may hold more sway. I think about ditching the X10 for something pocketable. But I probably won't.

Ray:
I hope I manage to do as well as you do with the x-10 that I just bought on ebay. Your photos are tonally gorgeous among many other positive things one can say. The unit I bought has had the sensor replacement, so white orbs should not be an issue, and I'm impressed by what I've seen.

I sold the Nikon v1 with the extra 18.5 lens I got for it, only a few days after getting them, and used my paypal balance to buy the x10. Nice camera, the Nikon 1, producing nice files, but I don't want another system camera (he realizes after the fact). An E-PM1 with the small Panasonic 14-42 would do very nicely if I did, and the image quality would beat the Nikon. I want a relatively small camera with a built in fast zoom that covers most of the usual territory I shoot in. The Olympus XZ-1 does nicely, but I can't resist an optical viewfinder and a bigger sensor.

I hope I love the first time as much as you're loving it again.

As the new owner of Ray's X10 I look forward to adding to the thread...as soon as it manages to make it's trek across the prairies and over the mountains to WA State.

Back