Software Luminar 3 released early in Australia, Austria and Canada.

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
Yes I've got my copy of Luminar 3 three days early. Looks like they chose the first letters in 3 continents and the rest is coming on the 18th.

It is reasonably quick to download but rather slow to install (3-5 minutes). After install it asks your image location and 'loads' the images - indexing I suppose. I'm on Win 10 and used the (suggested) default Pictures folder. This took about 20 minutes and I should have been smarter and chosen a more specific folder. I now have thousands of textures, skies and misc stuff in my library. Be smart and choose your recent images location as I'm sure you can add to the Library later.

L3 uses the same login as 2018 but you have to close and re-open L3 to get the Activation screen. Don't go to your Skylum acct to activate.

Only had a short play so far - it seems to find your Looks/presets from 2018 but my first impression is that it's SLOW.

I found it very speedy on my Mac Mini, even to indexing a few thousand photos. I've also installed on my 2010 macbook and because I'm obviously going to use the same photos, its taking ages... over wifi on a slow HD takes time. Also the macbook is underpowered, may need to take it to 16GB RAM, which its not rated for by Appe, but apparently is happy to use.

Very impressed thus far. when I viewed "all photos" it became *immediately* obvious that I have a ton a dupes and the way its all presented makes it really easy to delete them. LOve it.

Regarding speed L3 is slow the first time you open a given folder (building previews?) but going back to the folder it is in fact pretty fast. This is not unlike most other software I've used.

Alas, can't use it on the Macbook (mid 2010, White), its just too underpowered. I don't think increasing RAM to 16GB will make a massive difference, and I already have an SSD installed in it. OH well, only on the Mac Mini I guess. I'm rapidly approaching a time where I will have to upgrade something, dammit.

Thanks for the info. I’m travelling right now so don’t know if I will have the time and the internet to download it, but did any of you noticed if there are any improvements beside the DAM?
Is it possible to download this new version and keep the old one?
Thanks in advance,
Jos

I really like the library module. Seems faster than others, to me. YMMV

[edit] And I find I *can* use it on the old Macbook, I'm just not using the same set of images as on the Mini. Its OK, I wont get too confused. I think.

Last edited:
Back