Luminar and Affinity

mnhoj

gee aahrr
Name
John
So I really like Luminar 3 and with it's new DAM it's a potential viable all in one solution for me.

I just bought Affinity(on sale btw :D).
I want to send an image to Affinity but I can't seem to find a way.
There are options to "open in" Photoshop, apple photos, Elements, LR.

Seems a little bass ackward to save and then reopen.
LR, C1express Fuji, On1 can do it.
Or am I the ackward one?

So I really like Luminar 3 and with it's new DAM it's a potential viable all in one solution for me.

I want to send an image to Affinity but I can't seem to find a way.
There are options to "open in" Photoshop, apple photos, Elements, LR.

Seems a little bass ackward to save and then reopen.
LR, C1express Fuji, On1 can do it.
Or am I the ackward one?

Not at all, I wanted to send to anotehr app also, cant be done.

Thanks Sue.
I purchased Luminar 2018 months ago and really like it.
The free Luminar 3 upgrade is nice with it's DAM effort.
I feel like the potential is there. I just hope it ripens before 4.

Now back to Affinity. I am/was using CS6 and the upgrade is exciting.
Just need to figure out where everything is.

I can't answer your question, but thank you for pointing out the Christmas sale. 20% off is worth grabbing.

Not sure how long the price will hold, so I'm having a quick play with the trial version to make sure there are no compatibility issues on my PC before I pull the trigger. At £39 in the sale it's a bit of a no-brainer ...

-R

I did discover yesterday, when searching for a way to add to the send to, that you can use your adobe plugins. Go to Plugins under "Edit", then "Other", then "New PLugin" and it will open a box where you can choose the ones you want. I have installed the Nik software, and DXO Filmpack 5 at the moment. It seems to accept anything.plugin

I did discover yesterday, when searching for a way to add to the send to, that you can use your adobe plugins. Go to Plugins under "Edit", then "Other", then "New PLugin" and it will open a box where you can choose the ones you want. I have installed the Nik software, and DXO Filmpack 5 at the moment. It seems to accept anything.plugin
Does it round trip from Luminar->plugin->Luminar with the plugin edits preserved?

Thanks again Sue.
I looked for Affinity but it seems to be grayed and non selectable.

Martin - I just used it with Silver efx and it took a while to load but it actually does a really cool thing in that it creates an adjustment layer with the edit and it labels the layer too.

Does it round trip from Luminar->plugin->Luminar with the plugin edits preserved?
Havent checked, just installed a few but havent yet done edits.

[edit] Yep it does that. Additionally, if you want to revert to the original (after you've saved out your adjusted shot) there's no problem.

After adjustments with DXO Filmpack 5 (One of the Kodaks, cant remember which, now)
BWkooka.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And with those adjustments reset
colourkooka.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thanks Sue.
I purchased Luminar 2018 months ago and really like it.
The free Luminar 3 upgrade is nice with it's DAM effort.
I feel like the potential is there. I just hope it ripens before 4.

Now back to Affinity. I am/was using CS6 and the upgrade is exciting.
Just need to figure out where everything is.

I found Affinity has a really steep learning curve just because their labels for different aspects of the app are different to everyone elses. I was in the first beta group and I just could not get to grips with it, and abandoned the effort. I dont think I have made much progress since then. I'm satisfied with the editing available to me on Luminar, with plugins (I dont much like the free presets I've acquired and I have NO idea how to get rid of them). I like using the sliders, what can I say. Its an excellent app, as is Aurora, which I rarely use, but its very good as long as theres no overdoing it, which many people seem to (join the skylum facebook group to see).

Anyone else having trouble getting Luminar 3? I bought Luminar 2018 last year through the app store. But when I go to look at 'my software' on their website it doesn't show. Yet Luminar 2018 is activated and works fine stand alone or accessed through the Photos app.
So if I want Luminar 3 it seems I have to buy it for $69. There is no upgrade or link in the app store as yet.

I sent proof of purchase through the website, but have not heard back from Skylum.
This is very frustrating since I have been looking forward to trying Luminar 3. I was an Aperture user, and have since used Photos to organize. Won't subscribe to Adobe for LR.

Sue I think this is only true for the Mac version of Luminar 3. I asked Skylum about this some months ago and was told it was 'coming' for Windows but it's not here yet! It is possible in Aurora 2019 so not sure why it's not in Lum 3 or am I the only one missing something here? The only thing in Lum3 is under File giving you the option of installing into LR/PS which I no longer have.

I received an email from them this morning asking for another copy of my receipt from the apple store.
Hopefully, they will send me an activation key. As far as can tell, I never had a key for Luminar 2018. It just installed after it downloaded from the app store.

According to the email I received your activation key is the same as for 2018.
It is, but if you didn't buy direct from Skylum, as in Don's case, you don't get an activation key, and you wouldn't get the email. I've always bought direct from Skylum ever since I discovered that my purchase from the Mac app store of the creative kit, would not automatically be upgraded to the latest version which was not going to be on the app store at all.

@donlaw If you have a Skylum account, go into it and get your Apple receipt in there. If you don't have one, you should create it. My ownership of the app store stuff is registered there. But yes, you will probably be paying for the upgrade (they may discount it a bit). I had to. I try to buy my software direct from the developers after learning that lesson the hard way.

Last edited:
I am in the same situation as Don, and after seeing info here and on MacRumors last night went to the Skylum website and created an account and submitted my receipt for Luminar 2018, which I had purchased through the Mac App Store in July. Today Luminar 2018 does show up on my account, but I have yet to receive any email with a link to download the new Luminar 3. In the meantime I've been reading comments in various places, including in the Skylum discussion community on their site and am thinking that I am not so eager after all to jump into this, especially if I have to fork out more money for the program this time, which I agree with Sue looks as though will be the case. I'm thinking I'll wait a little while through an update or two, as it seems as though this software has been getting off to a rocky and problematic start in many respects. I've really enjoyed using Luminar 2018 and will continue do so, holding off on Luminar 3 until the dust settles somewhat and things begin to go more smoothly for users.

Upshot of all this is that I, too, have learned now that in some instances and this certainly is one of them, that it is indeed better to buy directly from the software developer rather than through the Mac App Store. Sigh.... Lesson learned!

Update: I did upload my receipt from apple store to the Skylum website. Moments later I also sent a message to them through their website. I got an email this morning asking for the app store receipt. I email a pdf of it to them and they sent me an activation key number and a download link for Luminar 3. The key is the same as for both Luminar 2018/Luminar 3. So now I have a both software installed and running. Looking forward to playing with Luminar 3 over the holidays. Got a couple of weeks off.
Thanks for the thoughts all! Will look forward to reading more about your experiences soon.

Back