Micro 4/3 LX 100 ii

Atom Ant

Regular
Name
Adam
So finally!

Panasonic has now released details of the long awaited successor to the LX 100. Same basics, including the same lens, but a higher resolution sensor and a touch screen.

What do folk think?

:(

:D

:confused:

I'm maybe interested in this update to my LX 100, although I haven't seen any prices yet.

I’m happy to see that the essence of the LX100 has been retained. Everything that makes it my ideal camera is there. The improvements are interesting, but not enough to make me jump; I'll be sticking with my LX100 for now. Had weatherproofing been added to the new feature set I would have been far more tempted.

Meh.

I have only just acquired an LX100 and actively prefer it. I welcome the larger sensor and more programmable function buttons, but the touch screen in particular makes me VERY happy to stay where I am...

gosh, I hate touch screens too. Tried one once....never again! Imagine the Parkinson's yips? I'd be there all bloody day either jabbing with my finger at the screen cursing when I mss what I want to jab at, or jabbing the camera at my finger with the same net result.

I’ve not had a touchscreen camera. I bought my LX100 mostly because it has an EVF and I use it about 99% of the time. I disliked using the screen (on previous cameras) because I had to put my reading glasses on, and I had to hold the camera away from my eyes to focus on the screen at reading distance; the sun often washed out the image. Outdoors when wearing sunglasses I removed them, put on my reading glasses, composed and took the picture, removed my reading glasses, and finally put my sunglasses back on my nose! What a chore! Of course, I still have to remove my sunglasses to use the EVF. (BTW the polarized lenses on my sunglasses blocks the screen image unless I hold it in portrait orientation).

How can a touchscreen be used at the same time as the EVF? With my nose? If my next camera has a touchscreen I’ll probably turn it off as others have done.

I’ve not had a touchscreen camera. I bought my LX100 mostly because it has an EVF and I use it about 99% of the time. I disliked using the screen (on previous cameras) because I had to put my reading glasses on, and I had to hold the camera away from my eyes to focus on the screen at reading distance; the sun often washed out the image. Outdoors when wearing sunglasses I removed them, put on my reading glasses, composed and took the picture, removed my reading glasses, and finally put my sunglasses back on my nose! What a chore! Of course, I still have to remove my sunglasses to use the EVF. (BTW the polarized lenses on my sunglasses blocks the screen image unless I hold it in portrait orientation).

How can a touchscreen be used at the same time as the EVF? With my nose? If my next camera has a touchscreen I’ll probably turn it off as others have done.
What you need, Les, is a pair of bifocals and clip-on/flip-up sunglasses.

Well Martin, as I age and find myself gathering more accoutrements (or prostheses) related increasing ‘maturity’ the adage of "less (no pun intended) is more" rings ever more true. Thanks for the suggestion but bifocal lenses with flip-up sunglasses is not in my future.

Of course, in a few years down the road …

I just use the built-in dioptre correction on the Panasonic and my Fujis. I am short-sighted and astigmatic and wear spectacles. My main pair are photochromic, and have been for decades so there is no need for a separate pair of sunglasses. I will need bifocals in due course - satnav vs road is starting to be a bit of a trial - but I'm good for now.

We should form a touchscreen hate group.....but there's enough hatred in the world. Let us sow love.

I LOVE non-touchscreens ;)

I'll sow love, up to a point, but also not a fan of touchscreens. Maybe we're not such a minority after all. So I'm prepared to save my money and stick with my Leica D-Lux 109 (the posh LX100 ;)), particularly after a successful SiO with it. For SiJy maybe my GF1, let's hear it for the smaller resolution sensor.

Barrie

The worst thing is getting used to touch screen then going back to a camera that lacks it. How many frustrating pokes or swipes until you remember to use the buttons?

The good thing about the touch screen is that you can change your focus point when you are looking thru the evf... Of course there are times that I am looking for a focus point hidden in a corner by a random touch....

For two months I've been taking this little gem for walks when the E-M5 with two primes and the zoom is too much to carry along, or just because I wanted to have a camera with me in case there's something interesting on my way.

What I like: no clicking through menues, everything can be set on the body. The zoom is fast, and for me this is just the ideal small camera to have always with me (jacket-pocket size, not trouser-pocket). So far I'm very satisfied with the results. I'm no pixel counter but I was rather dissatisfied with the TZ-61, especially in low light.
And for all you touch screen haters: you don't have to use it. With all the information in the finder and my dioptries fixed on the little wheel beside it I don't even need my specs. Yet ... I'm using the touch screen more and more often because it's convenient, fast and easy to use.

Here are some photos I posted which show why I like it:
Show Rivers
Show: Random picture thread
Share Birds
Show: Random picture thread
Especially the last series of night photos (all handheld) show what this small camera can do.
And not to forget the many special features this camera offers, including in-camera double exposures:
Your self portrait.

A good review of the camera and its possibilities from a FF-photographer can be found here:
Opinions are one thing, I rely on facts (experiences by people who use the camera).

Here's a stacked macro shot I took (window-sill in living-room, no flash)
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Back