Micro 4/3 LX100 ISO settings

alexvk2

I recently bought an LX100 and cannot after much reading and poking around find how to set the ISO above 6400 which is default maximum - the ISO Limit set and Extended ISO options remain stubbornly greyed out in setup menu
any suggestions most elcome

Q Menu, select ISO, use back dial to adjust.

M.
Thanks for suggestion ...however the adjustment stops at 6400 ....
15057210063651460809665.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You can look at pages 136, 137 in the manual. You cannot make this adjustment in iA mode.
Thanks ..ive read these pages and am aware iA mode does not allow access to I SO however I seem to be missing something because I can only ever see the adjustment go as high as 6400

I'm not sure that I would ever use my LX 100 at anything over 1600iso, as a small sensor the image would be too noisy for me. I try not to go above 400iso where possible and frame my subject to avoid any unnecessary cropping so as to maintain as much detail as I can.

I'm not sure that I would ever use my LX 100 at anything over 1600iso, as a small sensor the image would be too noisy for me. I try not to go above 400iso where possible and frame my subject to avoid any unnecessary cropping so as to maintain as much detail as I can.
I was hoping to experiment with some night sky photography of the Australian outback and wanted the full range of settings to play with .... can't figure why I can't see the ISO that are in the specs

Just checked mine. Whatever settings I have used, they happily allow me to scroll the ISO past anything I'd want to use, all the way to 25600. As someone who grew up with ISO 64, I always feel like I'm cheating when I hit four digits. :rolleyes:

I would be more inclined to use a tripod or rest it on something solid with maybe a beanbag and keep the iso down, but I suppose it would be useful for hand held shooting.

I would be more inclined to use a tripod or rest it on something solid with maybe a beanbag and keep the iso down, but I suppose it would be useful for hand held shooting.
I intend using a tripod however I guess the longer the exposure the more movement of the stars so I'd need a drive to stop the movement ... but I would like to solve this lack of ISO range

Solved!!!! I found the reset record and was then able to go into ISO LIMIT SET which was previously greyed out. Now have full ISO range.
Thanks for suggestions.

Depending on the focal length set you could use 1600iso and f2.8 @ 20seconds and get negligible movement. this should give reasonable results from what I have seen from other people who shoot the stars.
I agree though that you need to sort out the lack of higher iso settings.

edit
Glad you have that one sorted :)

Depending on the focal length set you could use 1600iso and f2.8 @ 20seconds and get negligible movement. this should give reasonable results from what I have seen from other people who shoot the stars.
I agree though that you need to sort out the lack of higher iso settings.

edit
Glad you have that one sorted :)
Thanks
It's a bit frustrating when settings are greyed out and unavailable and there is no clear way to find out why ...I will be sure and remember the reset function which doesn't affect the WiFi or other custom settings ( which can be reset separately)

Thanks
It's a bit frustrating when settings are greyed out and unavailable and there is no clear way to find out why ...I will be sure and remember the reset function which doesn't affect the WiFi or other custom settings ( which can be reset separately)

Yep, you'd think with the processing power available in these mini computers, that they could have a little pop up annotation/explanation when a feature is unavailable because of a conflicting setting...

That would be so useful !

I've heard that the LX100 ( and other compact zooms) are prone to drawing on dust onto the sensor ...is this much of an issue ..and how would you minimise the risk?

It's potentially an issue for any camera with a zoom lens which can't be detached from the body. And the bigger the lens, the bigger the problem because essentially what you've got is a set of bellows on the front of the camera which will tend to draw in air (and particles) every time the lens extends. I don't know whether the LX100 is particularly bad in this respect, but I seem to remember the lens extends a lot which suggests a fair volume of air moving in and out somewhere.

The solution is to keep your camera away from dust, and to carry it in a clean bag and not your pocket. And keep your fingers crossed.

-R

It's potentially an issue for any camera with a zoom lens which can't be detached from the body. And the bigger the lens, the bigger the problem because essentially what you've got is a set of bellows on the front of the camera which will tend to draw in air (and particles) every time the lens extends. I don't know whether the LX100 is particularly bad in this respect, but I seem to remember the lens extends a lot which suggests a fair volume of air moving in and out somewhere.

The solution is to keep your camera away from dust, and to carry it in a clean bag and not your pocket. And keep your fingers crossed.

-R
Makes sense ..thanks I'll keep that in mind when storing and using the new family member.

I'm glad it's solved - I was about to post an image of my camera offering up to 25600. That said, I'd never even consider using that setting. I limit my Auto ISO to 800 for a reason. But it's nevertheless useful to be able to have it at least available ...

M.

Last edited:
Back