Panasonic LX100 vs. FZ200 -- head to head, extreme low light

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
I put both cameras in P mode and iISO mode, letting the cameras make the choices for ISO and exposure.

FZ200 (ISO 1600, f/2.8, 1/4 sec.)

FZ200_low_light_001_Medium_.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

LX100 (ISO 3200, f/1.7, 1/40 sec.)

LX100_low_light_001_Medium_.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Comments?

Cheers, Jock

In light such as this you would be better to set exposure yourself, either dialing in ~ +2ev, setting manuually, or using exposure lock. I can't make out any detail in the shadow era. The FZ200 choice for shutter speed is too slow for most hand-held shots.

For me the color details in the FZ shot are much, much poorer than the LX100. The FZ's sky goes from almost white to a thick, daylight rich blue, whereas the LX's sky fades much more gradually and accurately. Dynamic range is much better on the larger M4/3 sensor, I would assume?

For me the color details in the FZ shot are much, much poorer than the LX100. The FZ's sky goes from almost white to a thick, daylight rich blue, whereas the LX's sky fades much more gradually and accurately. Dynamic range is much better on the larger M4/3 sensor, I would assume?

I would assume the same about DR, but you have to also consider the exact focal point and metering mode for these shots. Shooting both P does not mean the shots are apples-to-apples.

Back