1. Welcome to Cameraderie.org—a friendly camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

LX5 extended flash options

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds' started by Mal Holmes, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Mal Holmes

Mal Holmes Rookie

Sep 18, 2010
    Liverpool / UK
    One of my down issues with serious compacts is the lack of flexibility with the pop-up flash. Although we can adjust the ISO to push the capabilities, it is still somewhat limited. When I heard that the LX3 & D-lux 4 had included a flash shoe, I was extremely happy, but I held out for the release of the LX5.

View attachment 29622

Other options which we can all now use is the off shoe option. I have found that the OLYMPUS TTL flash extension for the olympus FL36 & FL50 works really well with all Lumix/Leica models and the TTL syncs up with no problems...

View attachment 29623

I do however, feel there should be a better way to utilise the cable release option with a flash, but I suppose 'beggars cant be choosers' with a model as sophisticated and compact as the LX5, so the pop-up flash will have to make do, but it may act well as a firing flash, to be synced-in with others if needed.

View attachment 29624

All in all though... the camera does pack a punch if you are flexible with your own flash options...

View attachment 29625

Mal.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Prototype

Prototype Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    Illinois
    Brian
    I've recently purchased an external flash and I get quite a few laughs from people when they see such a huge flash on a small camera (not an LX5 owner but DP1 is similarly sized). I even heard a "why do you point the light up?" :biggrin:

3. Mal Holmes

Mal Holmes Rookie

Sep 18, 2010
    Liverpool / UK
    I bought it for my larger Leicas... but works just as well with the LX5.... :dance4: