lx5 xz1 or fuji x10?

nikki

Veteran
im buying a new compact and was going to settle on lx5/dlux 5 with lightroom but now ive been looking at specs for x10 , what do people think ?is it going to be a better camera because of 2/3rds sensor.or is it going to be as sharp as x100? let me know what anyone thinks please ! confused!!!!:confused:

Hi Nikki. At this point all you are going to get is speculation and guesswork. No-one on here knows any more than you do beyond the bare specifications. The difference in sensor size is marginal and whether it will make any difference to the overall image quality depends on many other factors.

Two specific differences might be important to you though. I you like a viewfinder then the X10 has the obvious advantage here. You get an optical viewfinder built in as opposed to an electronic viewfinder available as an optional extra. If you like wide angle shooting the Panasonic start at 24mm(equivalent), the Fuji at 28mm (though the Fuji is longer at the tele end). It all depends what your priorities are for the kind shooting you do.

And, for me, it is always a case of 'how does it feel?' Great specs are of little value if the camera doesn't feel right your hand and in use.

The X10 won't be as good as the X100 but i'm sure with it's 2/3 sensor will be a bit of a jem but we will have to wait a short while before we can be sure.

Today, it's hard to find a camera with BAD IQ. So, then what should be the main consideration? I think the way you see with the camera should come 1st. The LX5 is a great camera but you use a screen. I like a screen. The X10 will have a screen also but it's designed to use a viewfinder. Do you like the camera at your eye or not when making photos? If you like using a finder, the X10 would be the way to go. If you like a screen, the LX5 is really a special camera. Some of my best work ever was with the LX5. I sold mine because I was just stupid, no other reason.

thanks for that info. i do like a viewfinder - an optical one if i got the lx5 was planning on putting an optical one on it anyway. I think ill wait and hold the fuji and see what i think..its only a months wait!!

The things that appeal to me about this still as yet to be unveiled Fuji X10 are the controls - real upfront controls for aperture and shutter speed. No button pushing for getting to this stuff and I believe it's the same for EV compensation. I also like the way the zoom works... It's all conjecture now as we've only seen prototypes...but it is looking very promising to my eyes.

P.S. Everyone has their own opinions on optical viewfinders...but if you can't see much through them, they're not much good. That was my personal opinion of the LX5's add on viewfinder.

Since Fujifilm specifically developed the X10 to beat the LX5 and XZ1 (and various other premium compacts), it would be quite disappointing if it didn't deliver on that promise. However, we won't know for sure until November. Personally, I try to be patient and open-minded. Having experience with several other Fuji cameras, including the X100, I'll most certainly also buy the X10 (because it fits my profile and I know from experience how to handle Fuji cameras). But at this time I can't possibly say how happy I'll be with it.

im buying a new compact and was going to settle on lx5/dlux 5 with lightroom but now ive been looking at specs for x10 , what do people think ?is it going to be a better camera because of 2/3rds sensor.or is it going to be as sharp as x100? let me know what anyone thinks please ! confused!!!!:confused:

1. I would choose the xz1 over the lx5 because of supperior optics and better jpeg engine. For one reason or another I don't want to bother shooting raw and doing PP with small sensor cameras, unless they are Ricohs, and the Oly colors and WB accuracy beats Panasonic anytime. And whilst the LX5 zoom lens is no slouch, the one on the xz1 is slightly sharper and quite a bit faster elaready starting around 50mm equivalent focal length. Concerning manual controls the LX5 is the better tool, though.
2. The x10 could be the new benchmark for small sensor fixed zoom compacts. OVF, fast manual zoom Fujinon lens, larger sensor, what looks like promising manual controls, probably better ergonomics, the looks (!). Though all in a package not as compact and pocketable as the LX5.

The x10 could be the new benchmark for small sensor fixed zoom compacts.

I think you are dead right here. It does seem that for the price this will be the camera to beat. I'm just hoping that the price comes down and the image quality is better than the XZ-1. Mind you if it isn't as good as the XZ-1 then i can keep my XZ-1 and save a bunch of cash!!:D

Do you think the image quality is better on the xz1 than lx5?

I do yes but only just. When deciding between the LX5 and XZ-1 it came down to image quality so I looked at loads of images from each camera and decided to go with the XZ-1. Trouble is when you compare the image to APS-C senor or M4/3 sensor to that of the LX5 or XZ-1 you can really see a difference. The smaller CCD sensor is outclassed by the bigger sensors. This is why I'm hoping that the X10 will have great IQ as it has a bigger sensor than the XZ-1. We will see!!

As mentioned it's going to be a crap-shoot. I've demoed all the cams in the prosumer class, including the GRDIII after purchasing my EX1.

I certainly would not buy an X10 without a demo. I've been trying to get info about it and Fuji DE has been extremely evasive about it.

On paper much of it looks fantastic and I'm very optimistic, though the leaks so far are not terribly promising. However, we're going to have to wait for real pictures and also for the S100 and real pictures from it as well.

If you choose to go with the others in the prosumer class, luckily, they are all quite good, with different strengths and weaknesses. I would also not count out the EX1, unless you absolutely care about video. Despite certain drawbacks (firmware and lack of Samsung response to anything), I would not count it out. One of the things I like about Canon and Panasonic and Ricoh is finer adjustment of the ISO rating, important for balancing noise vs shutter and sensitivity on cams like this.

Basically, wait, and don't buy the X10 without an extensive demo, especially after what happened with the X100.

Examples of my (mostly EX1) photos:

doctormorbid's photosets on Flickr

Do you think the image quality is better on the xz1 than lx5?

I have not used the LX5 and so cannot compare them. The XZ-1 lens is superb and if one foregoes jpegs and uses RAW and the included Olympus Viewer 2 to process without the noise filter one can get wonderful image quality
5820702052_4a1f444193_b.jpg

I'm waiting for the final specs to be released, but the max shutter speeds are quite disappointing on the X10:

Again, not fully confirmed until the final comes out.

The limits are:

1/1000 @ f2
1/2000 @ f2.8
1/4000 @ f4

Now the problem here is that there's no built-in ND filter. By nature, the smaller sensors will still be limited in DR, so one method of composition will be removed, especially if F2 is ony 1/1000. The 2/3 will supposedly gather light better, so without an ND filter, it's ensuring that f2 will be almost unusable in even moderately bright light and really only for night shooting. It never ceases to amaze me how there could be such holes in the operation characteristics. I use an ND filter on my EX1, but it is not truly the best solution for a shutter speed that doesn't go past 1/1500. So I can imagine 1/1000 is going to drive people nuts.

Well the camera has been out for a little while now and there are plenty of images to look at on Flickr. I say it's a winner! Yes I will be getting one but not until the price has come down to a more reasonable amount. At the price it is at the moment you may as well bung in a bit extra and get the X100. :D

I think it would be good to check out an X10, before making a decision here. A lot of it would come down to, for me, the functionality of the Fuji OVF. A couple of hands-on previews gave me the impression that people needed to go to the LCD more often than they expected? If you end up not using the OVF, maybe the smaller LX5 or XZ1 make more sense. Also, depending on the pricing in your areas, it seems like the X10 is pushing into m4/3 price (as well as size) territory.

Assume from your top three that you need the zoom? Otherwise, there are some awesome street photos around here taken with Ricoh GRDs.

The X10 does have a larger sensor so the image quality is what I know I'm thinking about - plus for me, especially, the wide angle...and yes, the zoom, too. I had the LX5 and it was and is a great camera. I have the X100 and am extremely pleased with what I'm able to do with it...I only miss a wider angle lens right now. If I move to a more rural area, I'd probably wish to have a longer lens, too.

Back