Panasonic LX7 has arrived in my hands...and it's a stunner!!!

Name
Andy
OK I have just got home and have taken a few shots in the garden to see what this new Lumix LX7 is really like. I took a few at work after charging the battery and looking at those I can tell straight away that this camera is good! I took a shot of my work pal and the detail in his face, hair and beard was very impressive. The LX7 looks just like the LX5 but with a few subtle differences. The aperture ring is the main thing you notice and the lens element is different also. Setting the camera up was a doddle and it was nice to see some features that i will really want to use. For example the S90/S95 and S100 all have step focal lengths so you can shoot in the most common focal lengths that full frame cameras with primes will shoot like 24mm, 35mm etc etc. This feature is in the LX7 which I'm really happy about. The built in ND filter works really well. I took 2 shots, one with and one without the ND filter and the images looked exactly the same except that the shutter was reduced from 1600th in the first to 200th in the second with the filter on. The detail for a compact and general IQ so far has impressed me and once i have mastered this camera it should produce some great quality images. I have only shot in Jpg at factory settings and will try the RAW later but for now I'm a happy bunny!

Here are some images hastily shot before the sun went in! 1920 pixel wide images on Flickr, just click the link under the image or the image.

THE LX7
View attachment 58489
Panasonic Lumix LX7 Test by andywest1, on Flickr

NON edited image at f1.9
View attachment 58490

Non edited image at f1.9
View attachment 58491

Edited macro at f1.4. I missed the focus as i moved when taking the shot. Proves shallow DOF at f1.4 in Macro mode.
View attachment 58492

Edited macro at f3.5. Missed focus again slightly!!
View attachment 58493

Nice to hear a good wrap for this camera. I'm thinking of purchasing one for an overseas trip. There will be a lot of bus trips and walking so I want something small and simple. I had read about this. Currently I have an LX2 but it's not good enough. I'm impressed - now how can I get is approved by my wife?
Cheers
DUD

You seem happy. :tongue: The colors do really pop in those shots and they are sharp. I actually bought a used LX3 for my sister a while back and I was pretty impressed with the IQ it produced.

Congratulations. It's a great looking little camera. I too still have my LX3. Maybe all I really need is an RX100 and an LX3/7.

The colours and dynamic range look very nice. The macro bokeh has a kind of swirl to it as well, which is cool! My next small sensor camera is likely to be the next Ricoh GRD, though, as the LX7 isn't pocketable in the same way. Congrats on your new camera!

Back