Panasonic LX7 has arrived in my hands...and it's a stunner!!!

Like Chuck said 24mm. Also speedy lens. And plain old nostalgia - I just like the LX's. I also think that Panasonic files look and handle differently from the RX100 files (don't know how true that is for the LX7 though).

Besides, I just have some days when I want to shoot with a particular camera - doesn't matter if it's the 'right kind of camera' for the circumstances or if it's much the same in some ways as my alternatives.

Like Chuck said 24mm. Also speedy lens. And plain old nostalgia - I just like the LX's. I also think that Panasonic files look and handle differently from the RX100 files (don't know how true that is for the LX7 though).

Besides, I just have some days when I want to shoot with a particular camera - doesn't matter if it's the 'right kind of camera' for the circumstances or if it's much the same in some ways as my alternatives.

Gotcha - I wouldn't consider keeping both of these cameras, but then again I have the RX100 and GRD3 and the reason I keep the Ricoh is ALL down to handling and interface, so I'm in no position to criticize!

-Ray

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your input on the LX7.

I'm also considering this camera as a replacement for my Canon 400D and kit, but I'd like to ask you some questions about it, as you've got one !

What battery types does it use, is it an existing Panasonic battery pack or a fresh unit for the LX7 ?

Does the lens have a filter thread, to allow fitting of a polariser etc , if so what size is it ?

Does it support a wired or wireless remote release ?

Sorry to ask these questions, but I'm unable to find this info on the Panasonic or other web sites and they will help me to make a decision on buying it or not, well once I've saved up for it !

Finally how does it compare to your GX1, for handling, use, changing settings, menu controls etc as I also have one of these and a G3.

Many thanks.

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your input on the LX7.

I'm also considering this camera as a replacement for my Canon 400D and kit, but I'd like to ask you some questions about it, as you've got one !

What battery types does it use, is it an existing Panasonic battery pack or a fresh unit for the LX7 ?

Does the lens have a filter thread, to allow fitting of a polariser etc , if so what size is it ?

Does it support a wired or wireless remote release ?

Sorry to ask these questions, but I'm unable to find this info on the Panasonic or other web sites and they will help me to make a decision on buying it or not, well once I've saved up for it !

Finally how does it compare to your GX1, for handling, use, changing settings, menu controls etc as I also have one of these and a G3.

Many thanks.

Hi

As chuck has said, It takes the same battery as the LX5 which is good.

The LX7 has a removable ring on the lens where you can fit the DMC-FA1 adapter. You can then fit 37mm filters.

There is no remote as far as I know but I never use one, I just use the timer!

The LX7 feels like a small version of the GX1. The menu looks similar and the camera definitely feels like part of the Lumix family. It is going to be a really nice pocket-able camera giving great image quality and is packed with great features and custom-able settings. It's not great at high ISO but keep it under 1600 for top quality. Macro is great and MF isn't bad either.

Let us know if you get one!

View attachment 58566
Lumix LX7 & GX1 by andywest1, on Flickr

Hi again,
When you say that an adaptor is needed, what type do you mean, a threaded adaptor or a glue-on type ?

And who makes either of these ?

Also, is the LX7 able to be used with a wired remote release, like my G3 & GX1 ?

Hi again,
When you say that an adaptor is needed, what type do you mean, a threaded adaptor or a glue-on type ?

And who makes either of these ?

Also, is the LX7 able to be used with a wired remote release, like my G3 & GX1 ?
The DMC-FA1 fits with a bayonet fitting. The filter then screws into the adapter just like it would on any lens.

DMC-FA1
dmw_fa1_img01.jpg

There may well be a remote that will work but at the moment we don't know. The one for the G3 is over £60 where I work!! I'd rather use the timer!! :)

Check out the accessories here: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/lx7/optional_accessories.html

Many thanks for this info, it will help me decide further, when I actually get my hands on one, somewhere........ no local dealer/ retail outlets close to my home, so its difficult to actually try one out, even as a brief in-store test !

I tried to download the user manual on the Panasonic website, but they only provide a basic manual. The advanced manual can only be found on the bundled CD-ROM it seems. It's disappointing, because I like to RTFM before I buy a camera. Anyway, perhaps you could help:

• Can you shoot RAW+Dynamic Monochrome? I know you can shoot RAW+JPEG, but I don't know if the JPEG is standard or you can change the film-mode.
  • If so, is the LCD also in monochrome when composing in this mode?
  • I know previous LX models had a multi-film mode; allowing up to three JPEGs processed on a single shot (very cool!), each simulating a different film-mode. Does the LX7 have this feature? Can you shoot RAW+Multi-film?

I joined your LX7 group on flickr and I hope more users do the same.

Back