Leica Showcase M 10

Got out for an hour or so today. A few fast edits.

166419527.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

166419528.jpg

166419529.jpg

166419530.jpg

I've been a Canon DSLR shooter since high school (40± years, eek!). Three years ago, I switched completed to Fuji-X with various Fuji XF lens. The image quality is awesome as is the gear - light, compact and durable.

That said, I have always lusted for Leica, but the cost has been off putting. Last week, I attended the PhotoPlus Expo in NYC. It was the first time that Leica did not have a booth at this show, however, they were hosting special events at the Leica store in SoHo. I went to the store on Thursday just in time to join their photowalk. I was able to use the new M10 with a Summilux 35mm f2 lens. I shot this side-by-side, with my Fuji X-Pro2 with 23mm f2 (35mm FF equivalent).

I finally scratched the long-term itch and ordered the Leica M10, in black, along with the Summicron 35mm f2 and Summilux 50mm f1.4 lenses. I'm first in line on the waiting list at the Leica store in Washington, DC. Hopefully, it will ship before Christmas.

Regards,
Bud James

www.budjames.photography

I was going to get the M10, but ended up with used SL with the M lens adapter. (Since found a used 24-90mm SL lens for a steal, had to get that.)

My real beef with the SL and 24-90mm is the weight: I'm developing "SL elbow." The Menu structure and controls could be simpler, more of a minor niggle.

The pull is strong for the M10, for sure! Best of luck for a before Christmas delivery.

Bud-

Congratulations, and welcome to Leica place. I need to get down to the Leica DC store- would like to handle an M10.

Look forward to seeing some pictures posted- hopefully before Christmas.

Congrats Bud and if you get impatient you might want to try Murphys Camera in Louisville Ky. Talk to Kevin Murphy. Thats where I picked mine up.

Hi all.

It arrived two weeks ago. I now officially checked off a box on my bucket list to own a Leica M before I go. I now have the M10 along with the very excellent Summilux 50mm, Summicron 35 and Summicron 28 (bought this one like new, but used from B&H Photo).

Just getting started on relearning how to manual focus and zone focus on the fly.

Regards,
Bud James

www.budjames.photography

My dealer offered me a black M10 a few days ago but I've declined for the moment. I would have p/exed my M240 for £2100 leaving me the best part of another £4000 to buy the M10 and a viewfinder. I really have to decide whether it's that much better! I need to find some time to get into London with my own SD card to try it out for myself I think. Any comparisons between the two will be helpful :)

My dealer offered me a black M10 a few days ago but I've declined for the moment. I would have p/exed my M240 for £2100 leaving me the best part of another £4000 to buy the M10 and a viewfinder. I really have to decide whether it's that much better! I need to find some time to get into London with my own SD card to try it out for myself I think. Any comparisons between the two will be helpful :)

According to Sean Reid, M10 is about 0.8 stop better in usable DR (+0.3 to -3.5) compared with 240 (+1 to -2). I have been talking with my local dealer and tried one. Based on experience I'd say that's about right.

Color rendering wise, my impression is that M240 is of higher contrast so it's more pleasing than M10 IMO.

However, M10's VF is superb and electronics are much better than M240. IQ wise, You might want to check out about SL. SL has native iso of 100 so DR and color rendering are better than M10.

The M10 is calling my name too. Just can't do it yet. My M-E is working just fine. However, I have spent a little time with the M10 at the Leica Miami store a couple weeks ago. Plus I finally got to see what all the fuss is all about shooting with the 50 Noct.

Back