Leica M Baseplate tripod thread "issue"

Hap

Top Veteran
This is a query for the most wise and experienced. I have an M3 and finally noticed that the baseplate thread is 3/8 inch and not the "standard" 1/4 inch. Now I have to fool around with reducers. However, it makes me wonder as my local camera store owner who has seen literally thousands of Leica M3 claims never a 3/8 baseplate thread. Even thought it was a prototype. Many Leica III's have 3/8 inch base plate threads. I could probably raise a fuss with the person who sold to me, but not really interested. Is it an affront to my Leica manhood that I have this oddball?

Probably means it was sold in Europe and never had the reducer put in. What is the first few digits of the Serial Number- that helps with what year it was made.

I've bought Leica cameras with the reducer already in it, you would never know unless you looked very closely that it was not original. I would not worry about using the reducer.

Hi Brian

The seed of doubt, always pernicious in this context, was placed in my head. Although innocent, the implication was that this M3 was potentially a Frankencamera...or at least with a Frankenplate. Franken "stuff" and illegitimate tinkering with a Leica is a punishable offense....if not by death...then with potential loss of resale value and loss of confidence and cheapening of mystique. Somebody, sometime, just like the camera store owner, is going to press me on this.

Serial number begins with 915.

As I said before many Leica III's came with the 3/8 thread. It's clear from my internet search. The store owners contention was that he had NEVER seen an M3 this way.

Leica did make a 3/8" version baseplate for the M3, was used more in Europe. At this point, it would be impossible to know if the camera was ordered with the 3/8" baseplate, or someone substituted one after the camera was bought. I picked up spare baseplates for my M3 and Nikon F.

From a practical standpoint , it makes little difference although the seller should have advised and maybe provided a bushing. I also don't care as long as it is an authentic baseplate, which it seems to be.....and not fake. Spare blaseplates are sort of a luxury , given that they are not that inexpensive.

I saw a nice Nikon F the other day I could have bought. The mirror slap and shutter noise is like a 50 cal pistol. Since I have an FA, FM3a (black and not used at all), F100.....I did not see the wisdom of having an F.

The mirror foam might need replacing on the F; easy to do. The mirror slap on mine is nice and soft. I used a cork/rubber engine gasket on a couple of my F's and F2's, provided superior dampening.

The engine gasket material- self-adhisive, bought at an automotive department ages ago. Gasket used for engine covers on a 302 V8. I also use self-adhesive foam rubber mats from Wal-Mart, work great.

In reality....the FA is an almost perfect camera. Yes it uses batteries, but it has a matrix meter system that can be used with a very large selection of Nikon lenses, especially manual focus AI and AIs in program mode. Metering to almost endless duration. TTL flash metering. No...TTL fill. But 1/250s synch. Oddly, it has an automatic exposure mode override. If you choose an incompastible shutter and aperture combination for rapidly changing light, it will detect , override and choose something that works. It has a closed loop exposure control to compensate for slightly differnent diaphragm calibrations. It does not recognize the variable aperture of zooms in Program mode. It thinks it's constant aperture. Simple switch to aperture priority. I believe it has one battery free mechanical shutter speed 1/250. Its can be "fooled" to use G lenses. It cannot use VR....eh. It can be replaced easily for pittance. Not bad for 30 years old.

One kooky feature of FA......if you want to get more than 36 frames and starat at frame 0.....shutter speed defaults to 1/250s before fram e 1. You have to meter manually at 1/250 before loading and getting to frame 0 after loading.

Good to know. Trying to decide whether to allocate precious resources to an F.....or perhaps a decent Leica screw mount. It's all good... I guess

I did see sover Wong precut foam kits for F....9 bucks

F2 could be better option. ....1/2000 shutter speed

Back