Leica M Coding Kits?

Has anyone used the M Coding Kits for the M8s to optimise non-Leica lenses?

It's been a huge learning curve getting into Leica M system, learning the lens terminology the necessary accessories that come with it. I just bought the M8.2 and a Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4.

Has anyone found it necessary to code the 35mm?

ah thanks deirdre, I've been trawling the forums and have seen posts from people who say coding is necessary but others who have said they've never needed to do it.

Thanks for that link! I have seen some other pages where people have sort of done it themselves by hand and that kind of scares me since I'm not very good with my hands in that way but I might give it a go, he's given some really clear instructions there at a glance.

you need to "swot up" on the Leica, GetDpi and the RF forums - lots of info on those forums and a lens by lens table somewhere amongst all the threads - I'll try to find it when I have a minute

you need to "swot up" on the Leica, GetDpi and the RF forums - lots of info on those forums and a lens by lens table somewhere amongst all the threads - I'll try to find it when I have a minute

That's what I've been doing for the past two weeks. It's been such a huge learning curve and I feel like my brain is fried!* A lot of the commentary has been far too technical or detailed and minute for my beginner's understanding, I've benefited more from reviews that use photos as examples of the review. Even so, my beginner's eyes haven't been able to entirely pick out the minute differences in 'before and after' shots so at times I'm left wondering with the greatest of respect if the critique in the imperfection of a particular lens is a purely academic debate for the purists.

I didn't know about GetDPI, I'll check it out now, thanks for the heads up.

* Sincere thanks to deirdre for helping me out a couple of times when I've gotten stuck trying to find or understand a sticking point.

Hi James,
I have been doing a bit of research on this as I am just moving into the rangefinder world with a used M8. From what I have read, coding is most beneficial on lenses 35mm and wider when used on an M8. Apparently these lenses are prone to a cyan colour shift that occurs when IR cut filters are used and the correct lens code triggers the firmware to apply an adjustment to counteract it. The coding also adjusts for vignetting and pairs your exif info with your images. Sean Reid explains it well on his website Reid's Reviews which costs about $35 for a 12 month subscription. Coming from a background of nil rangefinder experience I believe it is the best $35 I've ever spent. The reviews are very professional and cover many lens and camera reviews (SLR and rangefinder) as well as technique. I'm an in no way involved, just a happy customer.

Cheers,
Sam

Back