Leica M-lens adapter and EVF to Leica TL

Tom Karlsen

Hi
I bought a Leica TL a short while ago. Since I have used a Leica M6 for many years I want to continue use my M-lenses. I need an advice what M-lens adapt I what fits the camera? A lot of opinion I believe;)
I need an Electronic View Finder as well. The Noviflex is very expensive, is there cheaper EVF to buy?
I hope someone can give me a good advice, thank you!
Best regards
Tom Karlsen

Hi Tom, welcome!

Do you have an M lens to TL/SL body adapter? You'll need that to use the M-mount lenses. Leica makes one that can pass through the 6-bit lens coding on their newer M lenses. Others such as fotodiox, make much less expensive ones (some of which are high quality) but they can't pass-through 6-bit coding information.

As far as which M lenses are good candidates for the TL, take your favorite M6 lens' focal length, and multiply by 0.75 to get what you'll like to shoot on the TL. Character, clinical accuracy, bokeh, all will transfer fairly well for a given lens from the M6 experience to the TL's results.

Unfortunately, Leica's Visoflex EVF is the only one that will work with the TL. Neither the older style EVF2 or its Olympus equivalent the VF-2 works on the T, TL, or TL2 cameras. Having said that, I've found I can save a reasonable chunk of change by buying used.

Hi Carlb
Thank you for your reply. I might find a used one on e-bay, if not I buy a new one.

Regarding the M-adapter my lens doesn’t have 6-bit encoding, the adapter dont need to support that.
After searching on internet I consider to buy a Voigtlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter or the original Leica one. The most important for me is to buy an adapter who will make the best results when taking pictures. Buying the Leica is the safest one I believe?, but it’s expensive. I think the Voigtlander is about 100 £ cheaper?
Tommy

The close focus adapter sounds like it might be for doing close-ups closer than a lens might normally - toward being a macro adapter or such. I'd stick to a straight-up adapter.

Fotodiox makes great stuff, I trust them 100%. The FotodioX Leica M Lens to Leica L-Mount Camera Pro Adapter: I see that's not as pricey. There are ones even less expensive on eBay from China such as Leica M L/M Lens to Leica T L/T T Type 701 Mirrorless Camera Adapter Ring LM-LT | eBay ... I'd just do a search to check whose been happy (or not) with their adapters in the past.

Hi Carl
I never heara about the brand Fotodiox before to be honest. After reading reviews about the reviews are very positive. High quality, nice finish and very cheap compared with Leica, Voigtlander. Good money for the value.
Thank you very much for your advice, it was very helpful:)
Tom

Back