Leica M Monochrom's at Leica Miami

Some amazing prices on those- I suspect these are trade-ins for the new one.

For anyone that wants to shoot 14-bit monochrome, these are very much worth looking at.

Once Leica has a sensor with new cover glass -how hard can that be?- I think prices will come back up. The CCD Leica is going to be a cult camera, Leica is not going to make another. Phase One did- the new 60MPixel monochrome camera uses a CCD as the quality is simply better than anything like it in CMOS.

Once Leica has a sensor with new cover glass -how hard can that be?- I think prices will come back up. The CCD Leica is going to be a cult camera, Leica is not going to make another. Phase One did- the new 60MPixel monochrome camera uses a CCD as the quality is simply better than anything like it in CMOS.

Do you think they are close on a new cover glass? Has anyone at Leica contact you?

I've been checking the ON Semi website- the lead time for ordering KAF-18500 went from "in Stock" not long ago to 13~16 week leadtime. That's longer than the other CCD's, so I suspect the part might be in revision.

I've been checking the ON Semi website- the lead time for ordering KAF-18500 went from "in Stock" not long ago to 13~16 week leadtime. That's longer than the other CCD's, so I suspect the part might be in revision.

That, or Leica bought out their entire inventory to do sensor swaps.

What I cannot understand: other cover glass is available with the same refractive index- changing to one that is more durable is not hard. It would be cheaper for Leica to have the CCD's revised.

"© Semiconductor Components Industries, LLC, 2015 April, 2015 − Rev. 2 1 Publication Order Number: KAF−18500/D"

On Semi recently revised the Data Sheet for the KAF-18500. It still shows the S8612 cover glass in use, and I do not see an obvious change. Usually, Data Sheets get revised for a reason, but the reason is not given for this one. "Strange", but it does mean there was a revision. I checked other data sheets for CCD's from Truesense, they have not been revised- so SOMETHING was changed. May be the coating used for the glass, but I do not know.

Image Sensors

"The Thought Occurs to me" that the Data Sheet was revised to account for a second version of the KAF-18500, with the S8612 version remaining in production. Again- the other Data Sheets in the On Semi line-up were not revised. The Catalog number on the old sheet is not in this one. "Something going on behind the scenes". If I were Leica, I would very quietly replace defective sensors with the revised sensor. If they announced a revised sensor with a more durable coating, everyone would want theirs exchanged.

Image Sensors

"The Thought Occurs to me" that the Data Sheet was revised to account for a second version of the KAF-18500, with the S8612 version remaining in production. Again- the other Data Sheets in the On Semi line-up were not revised. The Catalog number on the old sheet is not in this one. "Something going on behind the scenes". If I were Leica, I would very quietly replace defective sensors with the revised sensor. If they announced a revised sensor with a more durable coating, everyone would want theirs exchanged.
Makes sense.

Monochrom-II, part 2 | LEICA
Monochrom-II, part 3 | LEICA

For anyone that does not mind a camera without Liveview, the M Monochrom and M-E will most likely be the Last CCD cameras from Leica. The M Monochrom has an Image Quality that is unsurpassed, and will be for a long time. If Leica manages to pull off a full-frame BSI sensor with the uniformity required for a good monochrome image, maybe then.

Not many M-Es out there. I had to hunt for mine, but ended up with a great price from Ken Hansen.

I've had very positive experiences dealing with Leica Miami Store. Josh and David are both excellent gentlemen and very fair. I recommend them highly. I have no affiliation other than a happy client.

I've had very positive experiences dealing with Leica Miami Store. Josh and David are both excellent gentlemen and very fair. I recommend them highly. I have no affiliation other than a happy client.

Me too. I've actually purchased more bodies and lenses from the Miami Store than the Leica Store in the city that I live in (SF). I'm not sure why but the Miami Store's used prices always seem to be priced lower, even the "certified used" items.

Back