Film M mount lens learning

pdh...thanks for letting me know that the Jupiter won't work on the Bessa...you just saved me $80

The good thing is, Luke, that you are therefore now automatically $80 richer, which can go on a nice meal out, or towards a new lens.
(I'll waive my 10% consultancy fee on this occasion out of goodwill)

here's some more info from Cameraquest:

Cameraquest said:
Due primarily to the possibility of hitting the Bessa outer shutter, these lenses are NOT recommended:

Leica Hologon 15mm F8
Leica Super Angulon 21mm F3.4
Leica Super Angulon 21mm F4
Leica Elmarit 28mm F2.8 (first model)
Leica Dual range Summicron 50mm F2 -- won't mount properly due to internal body restrictions

Russian 20 and 35 screw mount lenses protrude too deeply into the camera

There are probably other lenses which could damage the Bessa's shutter, so exercise good sense and caution when mounting ANY deeply recessed lens or collapsible lens for the 1st time.

they also warn that most collapsible lenses won't collapse fully on the Bessa, and thus could damage the shutter if you attempt to do so.

Virtually none of the "better" M mount lenses loose money. Most are increasing in price faster that any interest your bank account may get you. So I wouldn't fret about the money as long as you have the funds to buy you'll be able to recoup it all when you sell the lens. CV 35mm 1.4's are fairly easy to find used as people upgrade to the 1.2 or the Ziess/leicas. It's a nice, classically rendering lens in a truly tiny package.

Gordon

Back