Leica M Problem ?

christilou

Legend
Sorry to be a bore but I've experienced another problem with my M. With the Voigtlander 35mm 1.2 I was just taking a couple of casual snaps in a restaurant when both the evf and the back screen showed uneven black and white stripes and very little of an image. The iso was high but the shutter speed was 180th. The first frame almost completely underexposed to greyness whilst the second came out thus.

15649687844_79ee0e88ae_b.jpg
L1003701 by christilou1, on Flickr

I was waiting to send it away to Leica in any case as I already have a sensor problem I think but this was something new so I'm just curious as to what it might be?

This look likes classic shutter capping. Does it only happen with this one lens? It should occur with higher shutter speeds, which might explain why you see it with the F1.2 lens. Try setting the speeds manually to check if the capping starts at certain speeds.

I recently had in my M9 about half the image black for each image. In my camera it was the left half that was black. Leica NJ identified a sensor problem and an associated board problem that affected the sensor.

Funny, I had a similar experience with my Nikon Df and 58/1.4G, only when focused very close (no, wasn't using flash). My best guess is that nothing is wrong with the camera or lens, and that I was partially blocking a light source that I wasn't paying attention too (it was in a restaurant).

My experience was probably not the same, I definitely wasn't blocking anything, I held the camera up to my eye as well as down again to look at the screen/s, both were full of unevenly spaced jagged black and white lines. I took the shots anyway, the first was almost completely greyed out and the second was the one above, just the bottom half striped. My feeling is that it's the shutter. Thanks for everyone's input, I'll keep you posted !

Okay, it finally completely froze. No amount of taking out the battery has fixed it. The red light comes on, glows for a few seconds and goes off. Shutter will not fire and no screens area available at all. Time for it to go back now I think :(

They will take care of it for you. The level of sophistication, and packing of components, in these cameras are amazing.

Please report back how it goes.

Back