Leica M10 initial review at Steve Huff's site is up

I think it won't be a lot to worth trading it. Great time for new M shooter to pick up a M 240 however. I try to trade my 240 a couple of months ago and my dealer told me that he just have too many in stock. Leica would probably be dumping a lot more of their stock as Certified used.

As with any modern Digital camera- The Sensor, Analog to Digital conversion process, and Data Acquisition system are Key to the quality of the final image.

I'm betting that Leica got it right.

They certainly got the mechanical portion of the camera correct- can't beat 1950s rangefinder ergonomics...

I'm planning to use the M9 and M Monochrom until they cannot be repaired anymore. I could live with an M10. It uses Little-Endian DNG, afterall.

And now- back to my lab bench. We been busy.

As with any modern Digital camera- The Sensor, Analog to Digital conversion process, and Data Acquisition system are Key to the quality of the final image.

I'm betting that Leica got it right.

They certainly got the mechanical portion of the camera correct- can't beat 1950s rangefinder ergonomics...

I'm planning to use the M9 and M Monochrom until they cannot be repaired anymore. I could live with an M10. It uses Little-Endian DNG, afterall.

And now- back to my lab bench. We been busy.

I'll be looking for a clean M9 once my wallet recovers. I don't care which model, but will look for one with the updated sensor.

Anyone interested in buying a nice M 240 silver? original owner here with box, everything from the factory. I will even throw in an extra battery :)

Anyone interested in buying a nice M 240 silver? original owner here with box, everything from the factory. I will even throw in an extra battery :)
Put it up in the Classifieds!

I will probably be sorting through lenses. We're having a lot of interior work done with the house, I found stuff I forgot I had.

Erwin Puts has the sober review
Leica M10 | LEICAgraphy

M10 is really nice. Basically M6 in size but M9 and M262 are lighter. Thinner body allows bigger VF with more mag. 28 lines easy to see. Shutter is best yet. These are all handling improvements. There is one serious image making improvement over M240: ISO 6400 is about like 240's ISO1600. If you shoot in low light that is huge.

The files look totally different out of the camera than M240. They have tweaked the RAW and Jpeg profiles alot from SL (bland) and M240, to make them look like M9 again. Underneath I think they are probably near identical to SL. The lens profiles have had alot of work, but we will have to see if we can really tell. :)

There is no video. New and much better EVF available. MF aid improved on EVF and LCD (which is gorilla glass).

Bottom line: this camera is vindication of M9. At base ISO, M9 is it's equal, or better in the real world, just for image quality. (though Puts might disagree). One other note: the best M9 is the one with the old sensor and no corrosion. The new IR cut coverglass is about 10% less in color transmission, visible spectrum, according to a very local source ;)

For me personally, I will keep M9. My current second body is Sony A7.Kolari. They are a great pair. My next body will be a Sony A7rii, with a newer mod that should bring performance to M240 level on the edges with all lenses. In an ideal world, I might do that and also get a M10, as they would be a great complimentary pair.

Why the Sony? 42mp 6400ISO, IBIS, AF for M, Silent shutter, 4K, easier with long lenses. These are all things I often do not need, so then it will be the M9 for now :)

Translating Irwin's methodical, tempered, and analytic style into an everyday conclusion I think he's saying, "IT'S FREAKING AWESOME."

Oh, wait. We've already had that review ... :D

Interesting that he opines that for M240 owners, the M10 can be skipped. As we're aware though, there are really tempting features to lure an M240 owner: more slim, more resolution, more low-light, more ovf, more quick, and of course that 'more Leica' ISO dial.

The call is strong ...

Translating Irwin's methodical, tempered, and analytic style into an everyday conclusion I think he's saying, "IT'S FREAKING AWESOME."

Interesting that he opines that for M240 owners, the M10 can be skipped. As we're aware though, there are really tempting features to lure an M240 owner: more slim, more resolution, more low-light, more ovf, more quick, and of course that 'more Leica' ISO dial.

The call is strong ...

Resolution is the same, though high ISO appears to be about two stops better and many are saying color has more punch, like an M9 (can be done in post on M240).

It is a very, VERY attractive upgrade, but I'm in no rush.

I don't have any of this equipment.........yet. Although I would like it.....perhaps a T? I feed at the bottom of the Leica barrel.

Anyway read Sean Reid's review today of m10, Sean Reid and Erwin puts are out of Steve huffs league, although well done website for Steve. Seems to me m10 is part of the Leica guided cruise missile attempt to hit its market sweet spot. At Fred Miranda a thread materialized asking people to list their top 3 camera desires.......m10 was wayyyyy up there.

I think Leica did well. Sean thought Leica did well. Perhaps I will get a deal on an m9 or 240.

Sounds like the perfect M I've been asking for - separate ISO dial, improved ISO. I don't know if it has a quieter shutter though - is there a review that compares the sound of the M9, M240 and the M10 directly? I don't really care about the weight.

However - I'm happy with my M9-P, and I'd be happy with the M240 if I really needed an upgrade. I can wait as long as it takes until the prices come down before I think about buying an M10.

The call is strong ...

I agree it's a wonderful new edition, that also vindicates the older cameras.

The only "fail" is that the M9 and M262 are lighter. Not by much. 100 grams off the weight would have been very nice, no matter what anybody says, and I wonder just what "has to be there", which is keeping the weight up. Brass maybe. Well people do love the brass, and my M9 is getting sexier that way:
32375954096_d4842bd21b_c.jpg

DSC09786
by unoh7, on Flickr

It was LN in January 2014 ;)

They decreased depth of the body by bringing the lens mount forward. I wonder if the extra weight was to reinforce the mount.

Still a lot of electronics in a close place. Brass is a good heat conductor. Aluminum, not as good.

I am very happy to read that it is heavier.

whatever one thinks of steve huff, i read the single most interesting m10 comment in his review, which went something like 'you dont have to do a single thing to the ooc files'. no color cast (m9), no WA aberrations (m8/9), no moire (m8), no 'flat files', no custom profiling, no constant pp stress. excellent useable ooc files--what a concept! couple that with at least (and for the very first time!) useable iso6400 and bigger vf and this becomes the sole piece of leica camera hardware that piques my interest. oh, and isnt it WR?

Back