Leica M10 Looks really good.

carlb

All-Pro
Slimmest digital M yet. Improves one dimension of the three wished for ...

Sensor is from the Q at 24MP. Would be heart-fluttering had it been CCD.

ISO as a knob on the top plate. Simple brilliance. ISO, shutter, aperture as direct clicks.

Uses the M Lenses. Compact.

It's essential Leica.

Anyone besides me considering it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very tempting Carl with it being slimmer. I wish they reduced the weight a bit more. I still don't like the placement of their magnify view button, prefer it at the back similar to the SL. Love the idea that you can go down to ISO 50. Wished they have the 1/8000th shutter similar to the M8. Can't have them all I guess.

For me, I am still leaning more towards the SL. I will keep my M and have the SL as a 2nd body for AF lenses, R lenses, Noctilux and Non-Leica lenses. I also heard that they might have a smaller SL coming out soon.

It's supposed to be the Maestro II and the same sensor, so it would would be odd if it was different endian and bit-depth than the Q ... So likely good news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah, only $6595!!!

After looking at some of the review, I am starting to drool over the M10. Hmmm, keep the 240 and add a SL or just go with the M10?

I will have no problem waiting ...I've waited through every iteration of digital m.

I did bite on x vario.

A nikon df for 1200 or a sony for 1000 looks like a good deal.

It's unfortunate that they did not let you do that on your pilgrimage to Wetzlar. I still would bet that Brian wouldn't sell me his NIkon Df :))

My Df is a keeper... A Monochrome Df would be amazing.

Now if we could get Nikon to make it the size of an F3, as Leica just made a modern Digital camera the same size as an M3.

Leica just set the bar for full-frame Digital cameras.

My Df is a keeper... A Monochrome Df would be amazing.

Now if we could get Nikon to make it the size of an F3, as Leica just made a modern Digital camera the same size as an M3.

Leica just set the bar for full-frame Digital cameras.
I thought Df was size of an FE?

i guess im just the wrong audience for this mp arms race: im still happy with the results from my 6mp epson rd1. in fact one of the things about the rx1 that displeased me was what a pita the 24mp files were to download. i am fully enamored with my 20mp pentax and cant imagine feeling the need for more. again thats just me, other views may rightly vary, but im done trading greenbacks for mps.

I would agree with you completely about the very diminishing returns to casual or enthusiast photographers of extreme resolution digital because of the cumbersome nature of handling files and processing them in a never ending spiral of complex and time consuming technology wonders. I agree that it does make sense to think about what resolution is really necessary for one's true needs and cameras with 1 inch sensors or older cameras like GXR, RD1, M8 are potentially very desirable for the pleasures of picture taking. I would love to have an M10, but I won't allocate funds for that. The older digital M stuff is scary to me for reasons of longevity and repair expense.(or no repair). That's why I indulge myself with mechanical marvels like Hasselblad or film Leicas (and recently a Leicaflex SL)....which have very convenient storage formats and plenty of MPS if you want (but also drawbacks).

With the M system many of us have investments in glass.....and that's another issue that we want addressed by Leica. Maybe M10 is a shot across our bow on that one.....as it implies true M experience and full use of the glass in form factor we love(A HOly GRAIL). My concern is that even that argument fails as these sensor cameras may require new generations of specifically designed glass to optimize performance. Leica , to it's credit has attempted to stick to simplicity where it can.

I am keeping my jaundiced eye on the smaller sensor and MP limited cams......ugh...even smartphones...that can do so much. If the damn things weren't so quirky, slow, and processing intense.....I"d buy a DP Merrill.

BTW one of the best digital cam systems I've used is Nikon 1....with the old EVF and 12MP. And lots of fun with the Fotodiox NIkon to M adapter.

I would agree with you completely about the very diminishing returns to casual or enthusiast photographers of extreme resolution digital because of the cumbersome nature of handling files and processing them in a never ending spiral of complex and time consuming technology wonders. I agree that it does make sense to think about what resolution is really necessary for one's true needs and cameras with 1 inch sensors or older cameras like GXR, RD1, M8 are potentially very desirable for the pleasures of picture taking. I would love to have an M10, but I won't allocate funds for that. The older digital M stuff is scary to me for reasons of longevity and repair expense.(or no repair). That's why I indulge myself with mechanical marvels like Hasselblad or film Leicas (and recently a Leicaflex SL)....which have very convenient storage formats and plenty of MPS if you want (but also drawbacks).

With the M system many of us have investments in glass.....and that's another issue that we want addressed by Leica. Maybe M10 is a shot across our bow on that one.....as it implies true M experience and full use of the glass in form factor we love(A HOly GRAIL). My concern is that even that argument fails as these sensor cameras may require new generations of specifically designed glass to optimize performance. Leica , to it's credit has attempted to stick to simplicity where it can.

I am keeping my jaundiced eye on the smaller sensor and MP limited cams......ugh...even smartphones...that can do so much. If the damn things weren't so quirky, slow, and processing intense.....I"d buy a DP Merrill.

BTW one of the best digital cam systems I've used is Nikon 1....with the old EVF and 12MP. And lots of fun with the Fotodiox NIkon to M adapter.

I think Leica has done a great job addressing older Leica lenses on newer digital M cameras. From M8 through the latest M10, all of them have very thin cover glass and angled micro lenses to handle the very close rear element to sensor distance.

The newer, redesigned lenses like the 28 Elmarit and Summicron perform much better than the old versions on the SL and on Sony, but on the actual digital M cameras the old lenses were already great and any improvement is quite minor.

Fish
Thanks for the lens clarification...

I do enjoy reading the experiences of knowledgeable users who have invested in the ongoing lineup of digital M's.

Fish
Thanks for the lens clarification...

I do enjoy reading the experiences of knowledgeable users who have invested in the ongoing lineup of digital M's.

I'd say now is a great time to get an M8, M9 or M240 series camera. M8 and M9 have already depreciated about as much as they are likely to, and there should be a flood of M240s hitting the market so make way for new M10s.

I just grabbed an M-D 262 at a terrific price.

As for lenses, none of mine are the new redesigned ones. I have the older 28 Summicron ASPH, the pre-APO 50 Summicron, an ancient 90 Elmarit and my only truly modern lens, the 35 Summilux ASPH FLE. All of them are absolutely stunning on the M-E (sold), M Monochrom v1 and M-D.

When I got interested in an M8 and finally came to peace with it's shortcomings (crop factors, IR etc, poor ISO performance), the prices started to rise.

Sensors and LCD's go bad and many have been replaced, although many have not. Kind of a crap shoot without very carefuly "vetting".

Maybe someday a 240. All of my m's would go on the auction block except for the M5....and CLE.

Back