Leica m240 purchase issue

Hap

Top Veteran
OK....I think I could use some wisdom of the crowd.

I purchased an M240 with very low mileage from a famous very active forum and a seller with extremely good feedback. It was advertised as complete, boxed, 9+, with all accessories.

When it arrived there was no US cord to plug in to the charger , only EU. I notified the seller and he responded by saying that "the cord is generic and I could get one anywhere". I requested that he direct LEICA SF, at his cost, to send me the real deal. He said" I called them and they say it is generic". Perhaps but I find his behavior , well, a little offputting to say the least. I know I would not do that to anyone.

Frankly, I am disappointed.....very disappointed. Is this wrong??? Do I not occupy some moral and ethical high ground , expecting to receive a fully functional system, even if the "defect" is a charger cord?

How much is charger cord? .....I don't know. If generic from Newegg or some computer source, probably not much compared to the 3K price of camera etc. From Leica...I don't know.

Perhaps I am just standing on principle.....camera advertise with all accessories....it came without a US cord. Seller in same state as me so had to be using. I paid the agreed price for everything and something very useful missing. I just know I would not do that to someone else, or I'd make it right, even if at my loss.

What I did not mention is that seller demand included payment through system not Paypal and no recourse. If his feedback were not sterling and plentiful, would not have done. Now I am conflicted about writing negative feedback and causing a "war". Just don't want to go there....would rather just not provide comment.

IS it the same generic two-prong connector cord that the M9 and many other chargers use? I switch them off so much that I would not remember if mine is the original or not. I have an Olympus charger, Leica charger, and computer adapter all lined up switching off the same cord as needed. Not sure if I know where the European cords are- have never used them.

If you got a good price and everything else is on order: I would personally just grab the cord from another charger and use it.

Hi Hap,

I can understand where you're coming from, it feels like big risk to part with $$ that Leica goes for. So your nerves are hyper-vigilant for anything being wrong with the deal.

OK, now the standing-back perspective. I don't even know what cord came with my M charger any more ... I just keep one of those generic two-conductor cords plugged into the wall, and swap it into whatever charger I'm using at any given time.

In the grand scheme if you like your M and end up shooting it for a long time, you're going to forget about all the "extras" after a year or so. Unless you're needing to resell it for a profit, don't worry about the "Leica" cord. There's nothing distinguishable about it.

Everything else OK about the deal? If so, I'd say don't sweat-it.

Just my two cents, hoping to provide a bit of perspective.

I appreciate the very pragmatic responses. If it were me, I'd tell a prospective buyer of deal oddities or just take care of it before advertising as complete.

I do need to get over it. It does more harm to me than it does to seller....who actually thinks I"m kind of an A hole. Imagine that!

Carl....It was not only $$ for the Leica...it was agreeing to go through a money transfer conduit with which I am unfamiliar and does not have the built in protections for sellers or buyers of Paypal...of course Wellsfargo Surepay has a 10 page Disclaimer. You are on your own....baby.

Thanks

The camera is a kick....and I am reading through the manual. It sort of helps thta I have an X Vario, which may be headed for the sellers block, although a much more nimble feeling cam. However, even as simple as the M240 is, it is still a highly capable and complex camera. I think it would drive me crazy to get on the learning curve of an Olympus. I am glad the M10 came out and created an opportunity to own a previous generation.

Maybe don't sell the X Vario just yet. It's its own really cool camera, with an outstanding lens/sensor/interface confluence. Sometimes I just want to take it out to shoot, regardless that I have an M with great M lenses ...

Psst ... Don't feel that you *have* to shoot the M with the rangefinder OVF. I use an Oly VF-2 most of the time with the M. Just don't tell the "rangefinder-or-death" guys, heh!

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were the seller, I would probably just send you a cord to satisfy you. I am very picky and I tend to rate what I sell very conservatively. I expect the same thing from a seller but that is usually not the case. I also tend to go out of my way to make the transaction satisfactory to both party. For a large ticket item, the seller should at least try to just send the cord to you even if you got the camera at a steal. But that is just me.

Vince....this is not the age of virtues. However, I certainly appreciate men like you who will make every effort to to do more for your "neighbor " than you might for yourself.

When I 1) can get some time away from the darned computer and the massive influx of patients in the practice. 2) Can read the manual and make sure I set up everything correctly, figure out how to change EV on the fly, and have some software that I can load my DNG's into. It's a process. Have taken some pictures but mostly around the house to get the feeling of being in the cockpit.

What do you guys use to resize your images for posting.....LR or PS?

Short answer.....soon.

I purchased an M240 with very low mileage from a famous very active forum

Is it a Europe (Germany?) based forum?

and a seller with extremely good feedback. It was advertised as complete, boxed, 9+, with all accessories.

When it arrived there was no US cord to plug in to the charger , only EU. I notified the seller and he responded by saying that "the cord is generic and I could get one anywhere". I requested that he direct LEICA SF, at his cost, to send me the real deal. He said" I called them and they say it is generic". […]

If the seller is European: I can imagine that they're simply not aware that there are different versions of that cord. I mean: how often does it happen when one is e.g. a Mac user without any MS software on their computer that you get some *.doc file, and then you have to ask the sender: «Sorry, I cannot read your text — could you please provide either a *.pdf, or a *.rtf file?» —— To me, that occurs quite often :)

Hi
A very popular US based forum. Seller and buyer in same state.
Thanks

There have been some complaints recently about the loosening standards of buy sell forum members....but I have no proof of that.
As always caveat emptor.

Ouch.
The detail that a bank wire transfer took place (or did I misunderstand that?) made me go into the wrong direction — I would have thought that's *so* European, the seller can't be American!
But now I can understand much better why you're annoyed.

Correct....it is not a "pretty picture" in terms of a high grade transaction.

I don't plan to poke the "bear" by offering an honest feedback commentary.

I made a mistake ten years ago.....buying a watch from a Hong Kong seller on a very active and well known internet forum. buyer identified himself with a copy of his drivers license and address, references, etc....I paid. Never received. It was an expensive lesson that I hoped never to repeat.

BTW....address was phony. it was all phony. Not the case here....just principle.

Back