Samsung M42 adapter on the NX10 - 'no lens' problem?

Paul Knight

I've purchased an M42 lens adapter for my NX10 body. It fits perfectly (as does the M42 F2 30mm lens), yet in M, S, A (etc) modes, I am unable to save an image. It seems that no matter what I try, the 'no lens' warning appears and prevents me from recording an image. the lens manually-focusses perfectly, and the manual iso/shutter settings seem fine (to me..)... am I missing something stupid?!

Hi Paul Knight,

I had the same issues before. If I remembered correctly, you need to set to M mode and change to manual focusing. If not, the camera will be searching for a lens to be mounted.

I've too purchased an M42 lens adapter for my NX10 body the 'no lens' warning appears set the dail to mode to m but still no lens appears any one got a solution ?

hmm, i've tried every option (M included) with auto focus off before i remove the samsung lens etc, but it just keeps saying 'no lens' - weird. Oh, I tried updating to the 1.3 firmware, but that didn't help, either.
This is a pain as I have the option of picking up a nice range of primes in M42, but none will work as it appears the camera is not allowing me to take a picture with the adapter clipped in place of an oe lens.

I have no experience of the NX10 but on my Lumix GF1 there is a menu option for shooting without lens, is there one somewhere in your menu? I shoot my legacy lenses in Aperture priority with the GF1 taking care of the speed. Sorry if isn't helpful.

this is very discouraging had a good deal in a car boot 5 prime lens all are excelent conditon bought another make of a m42 adapter same thing happend take a picture no lens appears have i been sold down the river with this camera help anyone

Have a look at this thread on DPR

NX5 Adapter problem: Samsung Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It would seem to suggest that part of the adapter may need beefing up.

ah, thanks - that was the one!
the locating lip isn't quite tall enough to push down the conical pin. i modified it with a small file and it now engages (although it is very temperamental). It has proved a point though - cheap stuff is cheap for a reason! I've just ordered an adapter from another company and will give that a go..

thanks again though -at least i know the lenses will work

There are two different types of M42 adapters. The first kind features the inner flange which presses down the automatic aperture stop-down pin so that the lens is permanently in stop-down mode. The second kind of M42 adapter has no internal flange and is meant to be used with the early preset M42 lenses which don't feature the pin (Industar 50/3.5 Pancake, for example). I'm not totally sure of the significance of buying the second kind of adapter since the flanged adapter works fine with both types of lens. It's possible that there are some older M42 lenses where the flange interferes with the rear of the lens...just a guess.

its the adapter that's the problem. there was no lens interference etc.. it's just a cheap chinese adapter that's simply not machined quite right. it does push the pin down, just not far enough. With a bit of 'bodging', I managed to burr the edge of the flange just enough to push the conical pin on the camera body in far enough to operate. It's not a great solution - I've just ordered a better quality adapter, but in the meantime, it is working just fine.

Bryan, the pin on the lens is not the problem. the pin that needs to be pushed in is on the camera body. when you put the adapter in (with or without a lens fitted to it), the adapter has to push a conical shiny silver pin in the the camera body down. the problem is that the push ring on the adapter doesn't push it quite far enough in. Now mine pushes the pin home, just the adapter (without a lens fitted) is enough to tell the body that there is a lens fitted (ie with just the adapter there is no longer a 'no lens' warning, even without a lens fitted to it).
photo-14.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

just put a little bit of blue tack to hold pin down and it did the trick thank you for taking the time to help people out and by the way this is a great site

Hi. I recently bought a NX10 and a M42 to NX adaptor off ebay. The adaptor was bought to utilise an old ( 1970's) Pentax SMC Takumar 1:1.4/50mm lens. Well screwing the lens on the mount ended up with the lens details on the underside of the lens, still no problem got a 2mm allen key, unscrewed three retaining screws and rotated the lens 180 degrees job done. Next problem was the lens was fouling the mount when fully retracted, ie focussed on infinity, so got a half moon file and removed 0.5mm off mount. Then try on camera. Get the "no lens" error message. Comparing the lugs on the mount to an original lens they are not long enough to engage with the pin as illustrated in the post above. Annoyed about that, I dont fancy sticking blutac in an environment that is so close to the sensor and moving parts of the lens. I did get a full refund from the chinese ebay seller without quibble. But I still cant use that old 1.4 50m lens.

Back