Micro 4/3 M43 users, what gear makes the M43 system stand out for you?

The strength of m4/3 is its selection of tiny, relatively fast, sharp and reasonably priced prime lenses. Yes, they require changing for different fields of view. That's why you bought an interchangeable lens camera

Picked up an EM1 mkII. Seemed like a lot of value for the price. I had one a few years ago. Loved the feel and the IBIS.
Not sure what lenses yet. I kinda like the look of that 8-25 @John King :) Or maybe the other mentioned 12-100.
Congratulations, John.

Those two plus a fast prime of your choice in FL should keep you out of trouble. The 12-100 is by far the more versatile of the two zooms.

The strength of m4/3 is its selection of tiny, relatively fast, sharp and reasonably priced prime lenses. Yes, they require changing for different fields of view. That's why you bought an interchangeable lens camera
Actually, I would add its selection of all kinds of lenses, at all price points.

I mostly agree with you, but there are some fantastic zooms as well. When you consider the difference in size between a constant f2.8 standard zoom lens in M4/3 versus some of the other formats, the high quality and small size do extend beyond those awesome small primes.

Actually, I would add its selection of all kinds of lenses, at all price points.
Well, you quickly get to the point of diminishing returns I think. A Sony A7c with Tamron 28-75 f2.8 makes a very compelling argument for example. Yes, there are some fabulous zooms -I even own a couple of them myself in the PL 8-18, PL 50-200 & even lenses like the brilliant little 12-32. But the real strength to me, is in those tiny little yet brilliant faster primes. I seriously don't understand why people buy an m4/3 ILC, and then stick with slow zooms. But that's just me. It's so much better & capable than that. Fujifilm understands this too -Sony seems to be warming to it with their APSC line, CaNikon -forget it

Well, you quickly get to the point of diminishing returns I think. A Sony A7c with Tamron 28-75 f2.8 makes a very compelling argument for example. Yes, there are some fabulous zooms -I even own a couple of them myself in the PL 8-18, PL 50-200 & even lenses like the brilliant little 12-32. But the real strength to me, is in those tiny little yet brilliant faster primes. I seriously don't understand why people buy an m4/3 ILC, and then stick with slow zooms. But that's just me. It's so much better & capable than that. Fujifilm understands this too -Sony seems to be warming to it with their APSC line, CaNikon -forget it
That's why I have three basic kits - tiny, small and not very large ...

Well, I try & keep it simple. A single body, & a selection of lenses to pick & choose from. Tiny, & small (the lenses) Only reason I have two m4/3 bodies -is that I hate dealing with the general public at the best of times, and trying to sell stuff to said public does not bring out the best in me. So I'd rather just keep my unused gear, perhaps shoot the odd frame with it, & simply look at it from time to time.
And this again, is where m4/3 is a standout to me. You can buy a full fruit, weathersealed, premium build m4/3 body that is as small as the cheapest & nastiest FF version of comparable size (figuratively speaking) pair it with those fast primes, & get the same IQ in all lighting situations. A single body means batteries are all the same, chargers are all the same, SD cards are all the same, formatted the same, menu is the same, software is all the same, and all post processing is the same. All win in my book.

Well, I try & keep it simple. A single body, & a selection of lenses to pick & choose from. Tiny, & small (the lenses) Only reason I have two m4/3 bodies -is that I hate dealing with the general public at the best of times, and trying to sell stuff to said public does not bring out the best in me. So I'd rather just keep my unused gear, perhaps shoot the odd frame with it, & simply look at it from time to time.
And this again, is where m4/3 is a standout to me. You can buy a full fruit, weathersealed, premium build m4/3 body that is as small as the cheapest & nastiest FF version of comparable size (figuratively speaking) pair it with those fast primes, & get the same IQ in all lighting situations. A single body means batteries are all the same, chargers are all the same, SD cards are all the same, formatted the same, menu is the same, software is all the same, and all post processing is the same. All win in my book.
Each to their own, my friend. Each to their own.

The choices we have are very wide, and mostly excellent.

Even 5 MPx shots from my E-1 and 25mm pancake will make a nice A2 print.

When good zooms got as good as most primes by the 1970s and 1980s, I tended to use zooms more.

When the 12-100 bettered two of the best primes ever made on a 16 MPx sensor, I investigated it thoroughly. Then I used one for about 20-30 minutes on an E-M1 MkII. Then I bought both.

My recent purchase of an f/4 8-25 was a slight indulgence, but somewhat less so than buying a 100 MPx Hasselblad or Fuji.

I'm 75 y.o. and buggered, but I can still manage the size and weight pretty well.

I understand why you prefer tiny/small primes; however, that's not my preference.

As I said - each to their own ...

For me, it is its unobtrusiveness that was the overall goal-post when entering the M43 universe, and that was achieved with the GX7 combined with the 12-32 and 35-100 kit zooms.

I have later fleshed out on it (to the tune of hoarding, or as I like to call it, satisfying my curiosity), but that is somewhat based on the factors of getting into photography as a proper past time again, and price point, the latter enabling a non-pro, but somewhat obsessed photographer to more or less hoard pro-grade lenses and a body or two, without having to eat porridge for years.

Picked up an EM1 mkII. Seemed like a lot of value for the price. I had one a few years ago. Loved the feel and the IBIS.
Not sure what lenses yet. I kinda like the look of that 8-25 @John King :) Or maybe the other mentioned 12-100.
What I really liked about mu43 were the size of the cameras and the selection of lenses. You could build the kind of kit you want for a range of prices. Good cheap lenses and amazing high end ones.

@rayvonn
I've owned it a few times before. It's not the sharpest tool in the shed even after sample variation but I like the focal angle, size and speed.
The seller has vouched for its centering so I think I'm ok. I actually checked MPB and if I don't like it - their buying price is what I paid.
Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

Here are six reasons I still love my Oly set and would not change it for anything else:
1,8/75 pro, 2,8/60 macro, 2,8/12-40 pro and 4/12-100 pro.

Plus - if I want minimum weight with maximum reach and have enough daylight:
3,5-6,3/12-50 and 4,8-6,7/75-300 II
From 24 to 600 mm including macro (including Raynox to get very close) all in all just a good kilo,
quality enough if you don't need it bigger than A2 ... and not even a rucksack or photo bag needed.

Just one thing that would make me really happy: a new OM with all the features included that Oly users (both E-M5 and E-M1) in the forum have on their wish-list too, and this at a decent price.

Last edited:
This

_DSC3166.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

M43 size.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My gear for today, lighter for size.

Inside that bag is two stabilised SLR styled bodies*, one weatherproofed, mounted with 12-35/35-100 f:2.8s, both on slings. Lens down carry.

Also a filter pouch and a tripod and there are room to spare. Unobtrusiveness galore. Must admit being a little surprised myself, what that tiny bag swallowed.

* Olympus OM-d10 MkII and Lumix G90.

Do you feel like any particular item or items, whether bodies or lenses, stand out for you? Something that made you feel like the system was better for you than other systems, didn't have an available equivalent in other systems, was better than the available equivalent in other systems, or was a better deal than other systems? I'm curious to hear your thoughts.
Well, in one carry-on bag (Think-Tank Airport Essential), I am able to fit two camera bodies, 2 Long tele-leneses (F2.8 and F4), one medium tele-lens (F2.8), 2 tele converters, 2 bright primes (F1.2) and one wide angel zoom (F2.8), plus small accessories like extra batteries, cables, charger, etc which cover EFL of 24mm-1200mm. If I have to, I could easily add one macro lens to the above as well.

Back