Leica M8 service request, why black dot instead of the red dot

Bokblad

How do I find out what service a M8 has got? I know the Leica was in Germany at Leica serviceplace a cople a years ago. Today it got a "black dot" instead of a "red dot", why? For sure I know it is not a M8.2. How do I find out if the shutter has been changed?

Thanks a lots Brian!

I haven't bought the M8 yet. Serial number say it is made in 2007 and the camera Has made about 14000 auctions. Now I can check this out whith the hidden service menue and thats's great. This camera has still 1/8000 s remaning! Then probobly shutter has not been changes or? The price, about 1700$ they ask for, what about that? I only want to give him 1200-1300$. He tried to fool me and sell it as a M8"black dot". But it has the 8000s on the wheel and I told him thats a M8 and not a M8.2. He told me, I only said it has a black dot... But I belive he was the one who was cheated when he bought the camera. That is why I asking about the camera mabe I can se in the hidden menue if the camera has been to service in Germany, mabe there some kind of kodes what has been done?

The Shutter swap is the biggest upgrade, others include the hardened LCD panel and larger framelines- but most went for the shutter upgrade first. Personally, I like the 1/8000th top speed and use a Half-case with it which dampens the shutter sound.

Depending on cosmetic condition- $1700 sounds a bit high, you are closer to the mark. $1500 seems to be a going rate these days for a good condition, used M8.

Thanks Brian for the quick reply.
In Sweden you find many used M8 around 10000 skr (sweden crown) about 1400-1500$. I realy hope I can find out if camera has the shutter changed. Some say the original is a
vertical shutter and when it is changed to a horisontal shutter is that true? Can I look into the camera and see the differance?

Like Brian mentioned, in the original M8, the highest shutter speed is 1/8000th. If the camera was upgraded to M8.2, the highest shutter speed should be 1/4000th.

Thanks Brian for the quick reply.
In Sweden you find many used M8 around 10000 skr (sweden crown) about 1400-1500$. I realy hope I can find out if camera has the shutter changed. Some say the original is a
vertical shutter and when it is changed to a horisontal shutter is that true? Can I look into the camera and see the differance?

Back