Leica M8. V 8.2

Hap

Top Veteran
so is there really a material difference between these two that knocks one of them out of consideration, no bones about it? Or is one so much better?

The biggest difference - the M8.2 has the quiter shutter of the M9 and M Monochrom, BUT that is limited to 1/4000th second. The M8 fires with a "Clunk" but goes to 1/8000th. The latter is why I kept it after buying the M9 and M Monochrom. I've never shot with an M8.2.

Both cameras long in tooth and acquiring one more of a risk than buying a barnack. I wonder what is reasonable for life of sensor, shutter, and all electronics?

1/8000 is nice.

KAF-1600 in a DCS200ir, 1993. Great-Grandfather of the CCD used in the M8.

Still works, including the internal 80MByte SCSI disk that stores 50 pictures.

So- 20+ years is reasonable.

Had a visitor to my Lab that asked how I managed to get parts to keep the 20-year old Pentium Pro Tower going. I've replaced the CD reader, nothing else. Well-made electronics can last for a long time. I have a World War II Triumph Oscillograph on the same bench. I had to clean the tubes on it and replace a bakelite dial. The WW-II Infrared Scopes, cleaned the battery contacts.

AFAIK....there is no M8 in my future. they are expensive, especially on big auction site.....given the age. I would like something digital that is made for my M mount glass. Perhaps an X Pro 2?....or a PEN F? Not M glass specific at all....but could work. Otherwise it's a Ricoh GR A12M module. alternatively, skip the M and fiddle with something like an X2.

Back